Reasons to be Catholic

OK passionate Catholics, lets tell the world why we are Catholics and chose to stick with it. Reasons should be SOLID enough to hit it right through the head!
Let me start:**

[1] It’s the ONLY church instituted by Christ, the rest are by mere humans
[2] It’s THE universal church, the singular body of Christ! without any pieces(denominations)

processing more, just thinking of putting it in a very strong and practical way. (**150 Reasons to be Catholic ** is a great resource, but we can have a practical, right-out-of-heart version alongside to it)

It is the only church that I know of that has stuck to its strong views on ethics, from contraception to euthanasia.

:slight_smile:

Your link doesn’t work for me :frowning:

I’m a Catholic because I believe that it is the one true Church that Jesus Christ started and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it. :thumbsup:

The Top Ten Reasons to Stay Roman Catholic

1. It’s politically incorrect. (Annoy the Catholic bashers!)
  2. You can sing badly and no one cares (9 out of 10 Catholics are tone deaf!)
  3. You can impress your friends. (Tell them you belong to a militant international institution!)
  4.  Your mother (It’s an easy way to keep her happy)

5. Great weddings! (When it comes to ceremony, the Catholic Church is smokin’!)
  6. Great Pope!
  7. The Saints (Talk about friends in high places!)
  8. Confession (No, it’s not fun, but what a deal!)
  9. Dependability (Jesus founded our Church on Peter the rock and promised that the gates of hell would not prevail against it)
  10. And the number one thing the Catholic Church has that you will find at no other church on earth…
    The Eucharist!!
    John 6 54-56 “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.”

Let’s suppose the Catholic Church is not the one true church.

This would imply that

• the gates of Hell prevailed against it
  • the Holy Spirt was not sent to protect it
  • Christ lied and abandoned us
  • Christ is not God
  • Every Christian chruch false.

So we look elsewhere

• Athiesm - no proof there is no God or gods
  • Agnostism - Cannot prove no possible knowledge of God (self contradiction)
  • Polythiesm - Something created all those gods…

Can’t think of arguements against these two, perhaps others can:

• Judaism
  • Islam

Oh I would LOVE to tell the whole world why I WILL BE Catholic but I don’t want to be prideful…

Lady Cignus:

Islam if studied anthropolgoically may fairly be labeled as a Christian Heresy. It takes some of major ideas of orthodox christianity and judaism and Muhammad added on a few of his own. I may get flak for saying this for it is one of the “great religions” of the earth. But for a strictly objective assessment, it is what it is. Not trying to demean anyone or offend. For a clearer understanding read up on Hilaire Belloc’s The Great Heresies. He does a great job of laying down the apology for why Islam is arguably a heresy.

Hope that helps.

in XT.

[quote=Lady Cygnus]Let’s suppose the Catholic Church is not the one true church.

This would imply that

• the gates of Hell prevailed against it
  • the Holy Spirt was not sent to protect it
  • Christ lied and abandoned us
  • Christ is not God
  • Every Christian chruch false.

[/quote]

Some Protestants will try to argue the Catholic Church was never the church founded by Christ anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

But in relation to the above statement, I have some great reasons to be a Catholic.

In some Protestant views…
the true Church Christ made is either:

• Invisible (That means no one can attend it!)
  • Non-existant but once was existant (That means Christ let his church fail, making him a liar!)
  • All Christian faiths (But we all disagree on doctrine and belief!)

To me, Catholicism is historic and consistent :smiley:

The Catholic Church has the greatest treasure and source of grace: the Holy Eucharist. :slight_smile:

Because the Church has Apostolic Succession dating to Peter’s time.

My reasons are summed up in this letter by St. Jerome to Pope St. Damasus I:

As I follow no leader save Christ, so I communicate with none but your blessedness, that is with the chair of Peter. For this, I know, is the rock on which the church is built! Matthew 16:18 This is the house where alone the paschal lamb can be rightly eaten. Exodus 12:22 This is the ark of Noah, and he who is not found in it shall perish when the flood prevails.

newadvent.org/fathers/3001015.htm

ourcatholicfaith.org/reasons.html

The sense of unity with our departed brothers and sisters, who gone before us, in the hope of rising again.

Everything, absolutely everything! To live and die a Catholic is all I wish.:slight_smile:

I want to be with the Church that is being attacked by Rosie, Bill, and the rest of the crowd, because if they are persecuting us as they did Christ, we must be in the right place. Viva Cristo Rey!

We have a beautiful Mother. Mary… :heart: :heart: :heart:

The main reason I will remain a Catholic until I die is the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the most Blessed Sacrament!

And there is the Sacramental life that can lead to a deep union with God that is not possible anywhere else.

There is Our Lady and the Saints and I love them and all the communion of Saints.

I love the true teachings of the Holy Father and the Magisterium
(and dislike modernism and dissent).

I love a holy and reverent Mass! And a beautful church does not hurt either.

But I never ever wish to live without the Eucharist. This is a faith not only worth living but even dying for.

Ave Maria!

[SIGN]Habemus papam[/SIGN]

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.