Rebaptsim

I know one can not get rebaptisd but, why? Thanks.

Baptism is a once an for all thing.

When we come into life, we are incapbable of receiving sanctifying Grace. Baptism makes it possible.

Once it’s possible, it can never become impossible, so baptizing someone again wouldn’t do anything. You can do the physical act, but you can’t accomplish the spiritual result again, because it’s once and for all.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I know one can not get rebaptisd but, why? Thanks.
[/quote]

In baptism we recieve sanctifying grace, which is what was lost by Adam and Eve when they sinned. Through baptism we are introduced to the life of grace that is given by Christ through His sacrifice on the cross. This means that they are introduced into the Church.

All this can only be done one time due to what it means. It is an actual change of the person.

From the Catechism:

**1304 **…Baptism …is given only once, for it … imprints on the soul an indelible spiritual mark, the “character,” which is the sign that Jesus Christ has marked a Christian with the seal of his Spirit by clothing him with power from on high so that he may be his witness.

You can’t re-imprint an indelible spiritual mark. That’s why it’s called “indelible”. Lazer hit the nail on the head.

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=Montie Claunch]I know one can not get rebaptisd but, why? Thanks.
[/quote]

4There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all. (Ephesians 4:4-5)

What if you’re baptized in a church that believes it’s only symbolic, but still baptizes in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

Does God still work behind the scenes saying* ‘I know they have no idea what’s going on here and they don’t believe me, but I’m keeping My promise anyway’. * I’ve always wondered this…

[quote=Elzee]What if you’re baptized in a church that believes it’s only symbolic, but still baptizes in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

Does God still work behind the scenes saying* ‘I know they have no idea what’s going on here and they don’t believe me, but I’m keeping My promise anyway’. *I’ve always wondered this…
[/quote]

If there is a question as to the validity of the original baptism, the Church will give the person a conditional baptism, saying something like…If you have not been validly baptized, I baptize you in the Name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

[quote=Todd Easton]If there is a question as to the validity of the original baptism, the Church will give the person a conditional baptism, saying something like…If you have not been validly baptized, I baptize you in the Name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
[/quote]

In my example, the formula was valid (trinitarian, water baptism) but the intent of the minister is that it’s symbolic. I’m sure there are many people in RCIA who were baptized this way (former Baptists, for example)…does the Church consider a baptism valid if the forumula is valid but the minister’s intent is not, or does this person need to be "re"baptized? Seems like there would be a consistent answer for this type of situation.

[quote=Elzee]In my example, the formula was valid (trinitarian, water baptism) but the intent of the minister is that it’s symbolic. I’m sure there are many people in RCIA who were baptized this way (former Baptists, for example)…does the Church consider a baptism valid if the forumula is valid but the minister’s intent is not, or does this person need to be "re"baptized? Seems like there would be a consistent answer for this type of situation.
[/quote]

our diocese has a list of the various other denominations, what their baptism consists of, the sacramental formula and rituals used, according to the information they supply, which priests can consult to determine if a baptism is valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.