Rebellion in Heaven

Lucifer rebelled against God. Genesis 4 says that the angels of God came into the daughters of men. Can there be another rebellion in Heaven?

The angels made their choice. So far as we understand it, they can’t change who they are or develop over time the way we material beings do. So I would say no, there cannot be another rebellion.

The angels were tested before being admitted to the Beatific Vision. It is impossible to sin in Heaven.

Here is a brief, but helpful article:

ewtn.com/library/DOCTRINE/ANGELS.TXT

I guess this shows then that there is freedom of Choice and opinion in Heaven ?

If Angels can or at least had rebelled

ANGELS - From the Teaching of St. Thomas Aquinas

Thank you for the link,pity they have no Facebook link ,
if you know of how to somehow link,I’d appreciate it if you advise

The better translation would be “sons of God” in this context because angels being pure spiritual beings cannot copulate, and so father children:

Gen 6:4 [W]hen the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.“6:1-4 A critical event in the Genesis narrative, where the righteous line of Seth (sons of God) intermarries with the godless line of Cain (daughters of men) and become corrupted (except for Noah, 6:8-9). On top of the violence and moral decadence spreading over the earth, this is the final outrage that moves God to pour out his wrath in the waters of the flood.” –Ignatius Catholic Study Bible - Genesis

“the ***sons of God ***are to be understood the sons of Seth, who were good; while by ***the daughters of men ***the Scripture designates those who sprang from the race of Cain. --Aquinas’ Summa Reply to Objection 6

Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Mike

You are right, it was not solely the fallen angels that copulated with human females, they possessed human males for this act. How they were able to pass certain ‘angelic material’ to their offspring resulting in the Nephilim, is something we will never be able to understand though, its sort of like what happened to the food when certain angels ate, we are just not given this kind of information, and I doubt we could understand it even if we did…its not really important either.

I asked our senior priest about this last year, he is very intelligent, has a PHd, he told me whats important to know about the Nephilim is they were the first attempt of Satan to corrupt the human seed, so Jesus could not be born, of course this failed with the virgin birth, after Satan was defeated in his attempt and God destroyed the Nephilim (or at least most of them with the flood), memories of these offspring was ‘hidden away’, nowadays, Satan is not so bold, he does not wish to be known, his biggest con is that he does not even exist, this is why there is so much controversy over the Nephilim and what they really were.

There are a few verses that speak of ‘hiding’ away of these offspring, in other words, making everyone believe they never existed or they were something else, like this one…

Isaiah 26:14 “They are dead, they are deceased [Rephaim], they shall not rise: therefore hast thou visited and destroyed them,** and made all their memory to perish**.”

Mike, I tried to state that angels cannot produce offspring, maybe I failed.

Mike

Is it possible?

Possible but impprobable:)

WHY?

Because the the ante has been raised and MADE EVIDENT: HELL

God Bless you,

Patrick

That is total nonsense. I really don’t know where you get these weird ideas from!!

No. That’s not what it says.

It says the sons of God came into the daughters of men. It says nothing about angels.

It is Genesis 6, not Genesis 4.

-Tim-

I believe ‘sons of God’ in the OT always refers to angels.

Furthermore, if this was nothing more than normal men producing normal offspring with females, why is there so much talk about these particular offspring? So ONLY these men could produce the ‘mighty men of renown’?

I didn’t say they were normal men. Normal men are your words, not mine.

I said that the Bible says “sons of God” and that it had nothing to do with angels. Those were my words.

-Tim-

Angels aren’t sons of God. The only son of God is the Logos, the Word. It refers to Seth’s descendants.

Here is a verse that uses sons of God and is referring to angels…

**Job 1:6
Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.

Also, Job 38:7 …And all the sons of God shouted for joy. “The sons of God” here must necessarily be the angels, since there were no men as yet in existence.

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 2. The sons of God. The descendants of Seth and Enos are here called Sons of God, from their religion and piety: whereas the ungodly race of Cain, who by their carnal affections lay grovelling upon the earth, are called the children of men. The unhappy consequence of the former marrying with the latter, ought to be a warning to Christians to be very circumspect in their marriages; and not to suffer themselves to be determined in choice by their carnal passion, to the prejudice of virtue or religion. (Challoner) — See St. Chrysostom, hom. 22, &c. Some copies of the Septuagint having the angels of God, induced some of the ancients to suppose, that these spiritual beings (to whom, by another mistake, they attributed a sort of aerial bodies) had commerce with women, as the pagans derived their heroes from a mortal and a god. But this notion, which is borrowed from the book of Henoch, is quite exploded. (Calmet) — The distinction of the true Church from the synagogue of satan, here established, has been ever since retained, as heretics are still distinguished from Catholics. (Worthington) (St. Augustine)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.