Received LDS blessing when I was ignorant

Three years ago my familiy’s LDS friend talked me into going to her meetinghouse so some elders could give me a blessing since I am handicapped. If she had asked now, I would have politely turned her down, but back then I had the idea that any blessing is a good blessing. So after getting a tour of the entire building and a summary of LDS beliefs and practices, the two elders anointed me with oil and sealed me by the laying on of hands. They said a prayer that talked about the preexistence of my soul which I now realize is heresy to Catholics but back then I said amen. Should I meet with a priest to get some kind of exorcism blessing? I have gotten blessed by priests for other things since then. I’m not trying to insult any LDS people on here, but would you guys want a Catholic priest to talk a sick relative into getting our Anointing of the Sick?

It didn’t mean a thing but you could talk to a priest and get his Blessing. God Bless. Memaw

I don’t think there’s anything there that a little holy water would clean up. Why don’t you discuss this in confession? I’m sure it will be all right.

No worries. But certainly talk to your priest if it weighs on your soul or mind.

I have had LDS priesthood blessings when I was LDS. I just view then as prayers of faith of the guys who gave them to me.

Nothing wrong with prayers of faith.

When my son was in the marines and was seriously injured, my (now late) mother got everyone to pray for him - Catholics, Baptists, Muslims, Mormons and everyone else who knew and loved her (and that was a lot of people). The doctors said that my son’s recovery was “miraculous”.

Prayer never hurts. God looks upon the heart within and sees the good intent. Nothing wrong with interfaith prayer. Last week at my mom’s funeral, I prayed with Mormons, Baptists and fellow Catholics. It was all good. Anyone who knows me knows that I am no fan of Mormonism, but I’m good with Mormons and with any person of good will who will pray with me for a good cause.

Paul
(formerly LDS, now happily Catholic)

As long as one is sure they are praying to the same God. :wink:

Condolences for your loss.

Same here. :gopray2:

Paul, condolences on the loss of your mother. Memory eternal!

Same here, Paul. :frowning:

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen

:signofcross:

My deepest sympathies Paul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.