Receiving Anointing of the Sick for the first time—what to expect

I am to receive the Anointing of the Sick sometime in the coming week. It will be a private anointing (that is, not during a Mass and not in a hospital or other medical facility). The Husband may come with me if his schedule permits—we haven’t set a definite time for this happen yet, and that will depend upon our priest’s availability—but there will definitely not be more than him, me and Father present.

I’ve never received this sacrament before, nor have I seen it administered to anyone else. Could someone tell me what happens? I feel stupid asking this question, but I prefer to be a little familiar with the order of events in advance.

Hi

Father should welcome you and ask you to be seated. He will then say some short prayers, place the oil on your forehead and perhaps on your hands. He may then give you a blessing and may offer you Holy Communion. It should only take a few minutes.

Best wishes and God bless you.:thumbsup:

He will also lay hands on your head and silently pray. He may pray some petitions or read from scripture.

Thank you for your responses. It sounds like there’s no set format for this, so I’ll just go with the flow.

God bless you both :slight_smile:

After he anoints your hands rub them together. This forces the blessed oil into your skin, and it doesn’t get smeared off onto other surfaces. This may not be strictly necessary, but is a good practice.

Also, if possible, spend a few minutes in prayer before and after.

God bless you, and I will pray for your healing during this amazing sacrament.

You will want to make sure you are not in mortal sin as well. Advise the priest if you need to make a confession ahead of time.

My gratitude for the additional responses. :thankyou:

I never would have thought of that. :doh2: Thank you.

Yes, I can do both in the chapel beforehand (I have the key to the church).

Thank you. :slight_smile:

No mortal sin here, and I confess regularly (last time was on Friday) so I think I’m squared away on that front. But thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:

An increase in sanctifying grace and a special grace is given from which may also occur physical and mental healing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.