Receiving communion on the tongue

I had recently received communion on the tongue for the first time at a Traditional Latin mass and then also did the same the following week at a Norvus Ordo mass. But since I received it from an extra-ordinary minister does it still have theological meaning since a layman has already placed their hands on the host? Also it seemed more awkward receiving from the EO minister. I’m wondering if it’s because I’m tall so being on my knees at a communion rail made it easier for receiving.

The theological meaning is in the action of receiving, not how one receives. Both ways are legitimate options.

The first communions were at the Last Supper, presided over by Jesus Himself.
The disciples were reclining and took the consecrated bread in their hands and placed the Sacrament into their own mouths as was normal practice in eating.
The rest is custom and tradition, even if enshrined in directives.
God bless you.

Has someone been telling you that receiving in the hand and from an EMHC standing is wrong or has less meaning than receiving from a priest, on the tongue, kneeling? If so, they are telling you something against church teaching. Both ways are perfectly legitimate and have the same theological meaning.

Most of the time people are perfectly fine with receiving from an EMHC in the hand until someone starts telling them it’s wrong. Then they start doubting the Church’s teaching. I hope no one is perpetuating that where you have been attending.

I’ve had friends, acquaintances, say things here and there about such things. I would usually just shrug that kind of stuff off but recently I went to a parish where there was a liturgical abuse. I am a convert so I don’t know all the ins and outs but I have been trying to gain more reverence and respect during mass and especially the Eucharist.

Well, there is a difference in the communion formula itself. In the EF, the priest says “Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternam. Amen.” (May the Body of Our Lord Jesus Christ keep thy soul unto life everlasting) whereas in the OF, it is “Corpus Christi” (Body of Christ) to which you respond “Amen.”

No difference whatsoever. One receives communion, period. One form of the Mass doesn’t have a different communion from another regardless of the “formula.”

Not the communion but the old formula coming from a priest does make a difference IMO. If I tell you the same thing, would you feel the same way about it? I doubt it. I have no say in your eternal life.

Really? So are you saying that one is more efficacious than another? One can receive more grace than another simply based on the ritual? Hasn’t this subject been debated here (and dismissed) to death?

Not the communion but the old formula coming from a priest does make a difference IMO. If I tell you the same thing, would you feel the same way about it? I doubt it. I have no say in your eternal life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.