Receiving Communion with braces on your teeth

The things I worry about...

I had braces put on my teeth yesterday and now have a mouth full of metal brackets, wires, all kinds of fun stuff. It just occurred to me that I don't know how best to receive the Eucharist while I'm wearing the braces. Up until now, I was receiving on the tongue, but...I don't know, I feel weird about presenting myself for Communion with an open mouth full of hardware. :o Plus, I'm worried about getting the host stuck in my braces. Anyone else been here?

I would say continue to receive on the tongue and if it bothers you remember you are called to humility.

Don’t worry about the host getting stuck in your braces. It may happen from time to time, but there is nothing wrong, or irreverent. Although I imagine you may fell that it might be more reverent to not chew while you have the braces on and just allow the Eucharist to dissolve in your mouth.

I had braces a long time ago. I don't remember them ever presenting a problem when receiving Communion, but then I probably wasn't that attentive at that age.

I see no reason why you couldn't still receive on the tongue (unless you are at the phase where you have rubber bands in...do they still do that?). I'm sure it wouldn't phase anyone distributing Communion (at least, anymore than anyone else receiving on the tongue ;)).

if you allow the host to dissolve on its own on your tongue, which it will in pretty short order, you don’t have to worry about it getting caught in your braces.

Luna,
three-year daily recipient of Holy Communion while wearing orthodontics

The Eucharist is true food, so just eat it like you'd eat any other food with braces.

[quote="sllhouette, post:2, topic:287957"]
to not chew

[/quote]

guys, do you really ever chew the host? :O I was taught to never ever do that in my preparation to communion, also have never seen anyone else who chews the host.
(The idea behind not chewing is somewhat like not causing suffering to Jesus which you are taking in your mouth.)

Perhaps this is again example of how different practices in various places are (my experiences from East Europe, Latvia)

[quote="Gunta, post:6, topic:287957"]
guys, do you really ever chew the host? :O I was taught to never ever do that in my preparation to communion, also have never seen anyone else who chews the host.
(The idea behind not chewing is somewhat like not causing suffering to Jesus which you are taking in your mouth.)

Perhaps this is again example of how different practices in various places are (my experiences from East Europe, Latvia)

[/quote]

If you are really concerned with chewing, you may not wish to consider the events that occur in the stomach.

Chewing is simply step 1 in the digestion process.
I doubt our Lord considers it a problem.

[quote="DECatholic617, post:1, topic:287957"]
The things I worry about...

I had braces put on my teeth yesterday and now have a mouth full of metal brackets, wires, all kinds of fun stuff.

I feel weird about presenting myself for Communion with an open mouth full of hardware. :o ?

[/quote]

:rotfl:

I'm sorry DECatholic617, I don't mean to sound inconsiderate but I just about choked on the Reese's peanut butter cup I had just put in my mouth when I read this. Just a really funny visual!!:D

Seriously, just let the Host dissolve as others have said. You don't chew with your incisors, do you? I understand the thought of it getting stuck in your braces doesn't seem very reverent, but if it happened I'm sure Jesus would understand.;)

[/quote]

Gunta,

You'll probably get different responses, but I was taught you could choose to do either, although it was originally the custom to **not **chew the Host (at least here in the USA.). I don't know when the change occurred; perhaps someone of a different generation can answer. I myself usually allow it to dissolve.

Thanks, everyone. :D I tend to over-worry and over-stress about changes in routine (and braces as an adult is a BIG adjustment), so I'm very grateful for the advice and tips. It took a long time for me to be comfortable receiving on the tongue, but I love it now and didn't want to switch back to CITH (although I may do so if I get rubber bands put on at some point).

[quote="Luna_Lovecraft, post:4, topic:287957"]
if you allow the host to dissolve on its own on your tongue, which it will in pretty short order, you don't have to worry about it getting caught in your braces.

Luna,
three-year daily recipient of Holy Communion while wearing orthodontics

[/quote]

Yes, I too had braces for several years, and although I was not a Catholic at the time, I second Luna's idea. It sounds just right. God bless you. Braces are sometimes challenging, but the results are well worth it!:heaven:

I agree with everyone above. I also wanted tell you that in a few weeks it won't feel like you have as much "stuff" in your mouth as you feel now. You get used to all that metal being there and just adjust to moving your mouth a little differently when consuming things. As a survivor of five years of brace I wish you good luck! :D

[quote="DECatholic617, post:1, topic:287957"]
Anyone else been here?

[/quote]

Braces are a pain. A real pain. I have had them for going on four years, a bit longer than the eighteen months they predicted as the longest amount of time I could have them. But I digress. I receive on the tongue (and kneeling), and I chew the Host a few times and then I let it dissolve. Generally, it doesn't get stuck in the hardware. If it does, I try to dislodge the stuck particle with my tongue, and use a (clean!) finger if that doesn't work. It's not that big of a deal, really. Good luck!

If a piece of the Host should happen to get lodged in your braces, or even in your teeth, it's a good idea to drink some water to flush it out.

[quote="JGMendes4049, post:13, topic:287957"]
Braces are a pain. A real pain. I have had them for going on four years, a bit longer than the eighteen months they predicted as the longest amount of time I could have them. But I digress. I receive on the tongue (and kneeling), and I chew the Host a few times and then I let it dissolve. Generally, it doesn't get stuck in the hardware. If it does, I try to dislodge the stuck particle with my tongue, and use a (clean!) finger if that doesn't work. It's not that big of a deal, really. Good luck!

[/quote]

I'm in exactly the same situation right now. As with everything relating to the braces, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. Don't worry! Best of luck to you, DECatholic617! I've totally been there!

[/quote]

I've heard it said again and again that what our Lord spoke in Aramaic (and the Greek translation) is actually more accurately translated as "gnaw", rather than just "eat" (as it says in English). So yes, I think that chewing (gnawing) is quite alright, and actually encouraged by our Lord when eating his flesh.

From Catholic Answers article...
"The Greek word used for "eats" (trogon) is very blunt and has the sense of "chewing" or "gnawing." This is not the language of metaphor.
catholic.com/tracts/christ-in-the-eucharist

:)

At least you won’t have your mouth wired shut for six weeks, like I did back in the '70s :bigyikes:

(Full disclosure – I wasn’t a Catholic at that time, and even if I had been, not receiving communion for six weeks isn’t a sin.)

I'm a dentist, and I see a lot of stuff stuck in teeth. Braces are no exception.

Just receive and then stop by the water fountain on your way out after Mass to swish for a couple of seconds then swallow the water. That's easy and what I would consider due diligence. Go on and enjoy your day without scruples. God would honor that act of reverence.

Even if you couldn't swish, the accidents of bread would cease after about 15-30 minutes since the bread dissolves. Once that happens, the Presence ceases.

[quote="DaveBj, post:17, topic:287957"]
At least you won't have your mouth wired shut for six weeks, like I did back in the '70s :bigyikes:

(Full disclosure -- I wasn't a Catholic at that time, and even if I had been, not receiving communion for six weeks isn't a sin.)

[/quote]

and btw, even if it was, you could get a dispensation for a situation like that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.