Receiving Communion

I want to ask a question about receiving Communion when you are divorced. I was divorced over 20 years ago. I was married in the church. I was in a very abusive marriage, also he became a drug addict and so I was forced to leave and get a divorce. Twenty years later I met and married a wonderful Catholic man but I didn’t get married in the church. I go to Mass regularly but have been afraid to accept Communion because my friends tell me I am not allowed to. I want so badly to receive Communion, is the rule still the same for divorce Catholics? I live a very Holy life but miss receiving Communion. Any advice?

Thank you.

I’m sorry, my friend, but if you are living in a marital relationship with a person outside of the precepts of the church, you are not able to receive Holy Communion while in that situation. It is not the divorce that precludes your receiving, it is the remarriage. (Unless, of course, your first spouse has since died or you applied and received a declaration of nullity from a marriage tribunal; then you could go to confession and receive with a clear conscience.)

Your yearning for the Eucharist is perhaps a sign that you should deal with your marriage situation. Talk with your pastor about the steps you need to take to have your first marriage investigated for nullity. If you receive a declaration of nullity then you can have your current marriage convalidated and return to the sacraments. Please talk with your priest!

And in the interim, look up SPIRITUAL COMMUNION, and take a copy to Mass with you and pray that prayer during communion.

Correct, you cannot receive the Eucharist until you’re back in a state of grace. You’ll need to do 2 things before you can receive again (aside from going to Confession).

1. Get the original marriage annulled
  2. Have your current marriage convalidated

If your current husband has been married previously, he will have to be granted an annulment as well.

Your Priest can help you out with both things.

Ohh… and until your current marriage is recognized by the Church - you’ll have to abstain from ‘relations’ with your husband since according to Church Law, you’re still technically Married to your first husband. (I know some individuals don’t agree with that particular rule in these situations, but if we’re going to be Catholic, we need to follow Catholic law).

E.A.

I would suggest separate bedrooms, of course, and that you set up a meeting with your priest ASAP, and go to Confession. You should be in a state of grace if you proceed to live as sister and brother. Pray about it. Your desire to receive Jesus in the Eucharist should motivate you to do what is right in the eyes of God.

You are in my prayers.

+Excellent advice . . .

I’ve noticed that many of those who post with this type of question here at Catholic Answers don’t realize or comprehend that a legal civil divorce . . .while bringing about what perhaps may be a very-much-needed worldly protective legal circumstance for those involved . . . has no bearing or effect whatsoever on a Catholic marriage . . . in the eyes of the Church you are still married to your first husband and your second marriage outside of the Church is not considered a marriage . . . by all means embrace SuscipeMeDomine’s advice above and go and talk with a priest . . . your seeking full restoration of your relationship with your Lord as a prayer:gopray2:ful first priority is something to be cherished and nurtured . . . [INDENT]:bible1: “And thou shalt love :heart: the** Lord **thy God, with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength. This is the first commandment. And the second is like to it: Thou shalt love :heart: thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these.” - Mark 12:30-31[/INDENT]

I love the encouraging hope-full song quoted below we so often sing from our Catholic hymal during the daily Holy Pray:gopray2:er of the Mass . . . which is actually a portion of Sacred Scripture . . .

:bible1:
"But seek ye first the
kingdom of God
and his righteousness;
and all these things
shall be added unto you." - Matthew 6:33

As you pursue your goal of the Eucharist Christ . . . keep remembering . . . God loves you . . . and He loves all your loved ones . . .and as your heavenly Shepherd He wants only the very best for you all during your life’s journey here on earth . . . and for all eternity in heaven above when your soul’s earthly journey is completed . . .

*Peace . . . *
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Dear Blessed Lord+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Mary+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+

"O Blood and Water,
which gushed forth from the
Heart :heart: of Jesus

as a fount of mercy for us,
I trust in You."
St. Faustina’s Diary
Entry #84
[/RIGHT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.