Receiving Communion ?????

I think I have an easy question for everybody. I am Catholic my wife is not. I am doing my best to share the Catholic Faith with her, in hope of someday her wanting to convert along with our 3 children.She comes from a bible only non-denom restoration background,so its going to be a challenge to introduce the practices of the faith which are so much different than the ones she grew up with, I started with the Real Presence and she is in full agreement now with that teaching,and without even realizing it now,she makes the comment that she feels she is missing something by not receiving communion. She talks about going back to her church once in a while to receive communion(even though she realizes they dont practice the real presence). I know the Church frowns upon Non Catholics receiving the Body and Blood of Christ, She has never gone up to receive it or has asked to receive it, but I think she feels like she is not getting anything out of the Mass,and i would rather her not go back to Church(but I cant stop her). So my question is what would the consequences be if she did receive the Eucharist. I know she wouldnt do it if she knows its wrong but what is the Church stance on this situation and feel free to share your personal views with me.

GOD BLESS

If she recieves communion with full knowledge of the Church’s position then she is committing a serious sin. Recieving the Eucharist unworthily is a mortal sin. Her best bet would be to convert fully to the Catholic Church if and when she realizes that the truth lies there. Best of luck on bringing her to the faith, your family will be in my prayers! :slight_smile:

Ecclesial communities derived from the Reformation and separated from the Catholic Church ‘have not preserved the proper reality of the Eucharistic mystery in its fullness, especially because of the absence of the sacrament of Holy Orders’. It is for this reason that, for the Catholic Church, Eucharistic intercommunion with these communities is not possible.

: Catechism of the Catholic Church; 1400

:tsktsk: The Church does not so much ‘frown upon it’ as treat it as quite a serious breach of the ‘rules’ old boy. Don’t even think of going there in some private ‘experiment’ between yourself and your wife.

I would encourage your wife to go forward with you and the children (are not Catholic?) and they can all receive a blessing from the Priest while you receive the Body and Blood of Christ. :slight_smile:

But the solution to this is to encourage the wife (and children) to sign up to the RCIA programme (important for good foundation in the faith) in your parish and then to help her in her journey of faith into the one, true Church. Thereafter, at some future Easter Vigil she will take her first Holy Communion. :clapping:

Do not encourage her to receive Communion – for all the reasons stated above. Her thirst for the Lord is his grace to her. Let it lead her all the way home!

yes, she is missing something in Mass by not being eligible to receive communion, but she also needs education in what the Mass truly is, so she cans see first how much more she IS receiving by participating at Mass to the extent she is able. When she grows in that appreciation, her hunger for the Eucharist will increase and that is what will drive her to seek full communion with the Church of Jesus Christ. Your example to her as the model of a good Catholic husband and father will go a long way.

It is a little more than just breaking the rules. This is what Paul had to say in 1 Cor 11:23-30:

23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. 27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. 30 That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died."

To be in “communion,” one must believe what the Church teaches.

MilesJesu

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.