Receiving Holy communion kneeling at the altar/communion rail or standing in line?

If you have received communion both ways which one takes longer: Receiving communion at the altar/communion rail or standing in line?

I couldn’t really answer your poll.

I’ve only recieved at the communion rail once, but it did seem to go more quickly than communion in a line/standing.

I’ve experienced both but I the church with the rail was much smaller than any of the churches I’ve been to where I’ve stood to receive. I really wasn’t able to estimate the time differerence.

At my old Episcopal church, the altar rail seemed to go a tad faster than standing.
Much more reverent, at least.

I’ve never received at an altar rail. How does receiving the Precious Blood work at at altar rail?

It’s about the same. They usually don’t give the cup when communion is received at the altar rail, so in that way, it would actually be quicker.

I can’t really compare the two. The only time I receive at a Communion rail is at our indult TLM, and that is much smaller than Mass at my parish (probably 5X more people). I will say that receiving at a rail always takes less time than I expect it to.

[quote=GloriaPatri4]I’ve experienced both but I the church with the rail was much smaller than any of the churches I’ve been to where I’ve stood to receive. I really wasn’t able to estimate the time differerence.
[/quote]

GloriaPatri4’

I am pre Vatican II and I can tell you that kneeling at the rail takes far less time than standing even with only one priest distributing the Blessed Sacrament. Think about it, there is a pause after each communicant while the next in line steps forward. Not so at the altar rail. The priest moves right along to the next communicant.

God saves

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.