Receiving Holy Communion

So I read in the Youcat that one should be reconciled with their brother before receiving Holy Communion. So if I have offended others in a minor way, like talk out of turn in class ocassionally and my teacher gets annoyed etc, do I have to go and apologize to them befoer receiving Holy Communion???

Don't deny yourself the sacrament unless it was a serious sin. Yes, you can go apologize, and go to confession, but I think I'm safe in saying that you don't need to skip communion for these issues. Just don't make a practice of it. Of being "out of turn" and impatient, I mean. I know I've done much the same thing more often than I should, and I think there are more people out there who do the same thing but don't want to admit to it.

For Minor (venial) matters it would not be appropriate to stay awwy from Holy COmmunion. However having a serious falling out is another matter.
If you are in any way at fault, you must at least attempt to make peace with your brother before coming to the Altar.
to do otherwise would be a lie and a grave sin. You would be, in no way, "in communion" with your bretheren while harbouring a grudge or unrepentant sin against one of those brothers.

[quote="Christy_Beth, post:2, topic:315931"]
Don't deny yourself the sacrament unless it was a serious sin.

[/quote]

This.

But this is a very pious and holy proposition. Certainly many venial sins will lead to major faults or even to vices. This disposition will help you refrain (when possible ;)) from imperfections and aspire to virtue, especially to be well with your fellow neighbor :)

And if you feel that - even in a minor thing - you offended someone, it is a wonderful thing to let them know that you did not mean to upset them. Such humility is a sign of maturity, while the kind of pride that keeps us from ever saying a word of apology is, in fact, a sign of weakness ;)

Friend, that's why we have the Sign of Peace immediately before receiving. You can seek forgiveness from those you have slighted at the next convenient time. (of course, if that person is right next to you, then that's the time) :)

[quote="SonCatcher, post:5, topic:315931"]
Friend, that's why we have the Sign of Peace immediately before receiving. You can seek forgiveness from those you have slighted at the next convenient time. (of course, if that person is right next to you, then that's the time) :)

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: This. It's the only answer you need.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.