Receiving Jesus under both species

I had a question that none of my Catholic friends were able to answer. If you do not need to take both the body and blood of Jesus at Communion in order to receive the “whole” Jesus, then why should we receive it under both species? I currently recieve both the body and blood but if I am not gaining anything extra by receiving It under both then it seems pointless for me (or anyone else for that matter) to continue to do so.

While it is not necessary to receive Christ under both species because one receives Christ entirely under either, receiving under both species when this option is available makes the sign value of the eucharistic meal more visible. The Catechism of the Catholic Church (1390) explains:

Since Christ is sacramentally present under each of the species, Communion under the species of bread alone makes it possible to receive all the fruit of eucharistic grace. For pastoral reasons this manner of receiving Communion has been legitimately established as the most common form in the Latin rite. But “the sign of Communion is more complete when given under both kinds, since in that form the sign of the eucharistic meal appears more clearly.” This is the usual form of receiving Communion in the Eastern rites.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.