Receiving the Eucharist in Mortal Sin

What exactly is the sin that occurs when one receives the Eucharist in mortal sin? Why is it considered a mortal sin to receive in a state of mortal sin?

It’s considered an act of desecration. It’s as if one threw the Eucharist on the ground.

It is the sin of sacrilege. You are desecrating the Body of Christ when you receive Him in a state of serious sin.

Sacrilege is the term usually applied to it. Since sacrilege can take various forms, often “receiving Holy Communion in a state of mortal sin” is used to be more specific.

If a wife is on the pill or is using an IUD and has no intention of stopping, is it a sacrilege for her to receive the Eucharist? Is it a sacrilege for the husband if he agrees to her using ABC? Don’t the majority of American Roman Catholic families use ABC?

Don’t even go there with this topic to an internet forum…a trusted priest or spiritual directors is who you should address this to, so you can not only get a good answer, but also appropriate spiritual advice and counseling.

Peace!

1 Corinthians 11:27

It is the sin of sacrilege and the above from st Paul is the basis. If you go to communion in mortal sin per at Paul you will he held responsible for the blood I’d Christ.

1 Corinthians 11: 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

I have also read in inspired approved writings like Mystical City of God by Mary Agreda that there are special punishments for receiving unworthily. Although, I think St Paul makes that point clearly.

We don’t know. I know couples who were sterilized because they didn’t know better, then when they found out had great remorse, even to the point of looking into a vasectomy reversal. We can’t judge our brothers and sisters in the pews, and it’s not good for us to judge them. We all have our faults and challenges.

That said, we come before God as individuals who will give an account for our choices. Saying that everyone else was doing it won’t go over well.

We don’t? You don’t trust any of the polls that have been taken on this subject? In a poll taken on August 11, 1993, 82 percent of Catholics said one can use artificial birth control “and still be a good Catholic.”
national-coalition.org/marriage/contrace.html
" Seventy eight percent of Catholics across all countries surveyed said they support the use of modern birth control. That number rises even further among residents of European and Latin American countries, where Catholics tend to be more liberal than their counterparts in African countries. Over 90 percent of Catholics in France, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, and Colombia have no problem with birth control."
thinkprogress.org/health/2014/02/10/3270161/global-poll-catholics-contraceptioon-abortion/

Personally I don’t care to advertise the fact that 80 or 90% of Catholic couples have no problem with birth control because *it weakens the resolve of others to be faithful to the Church. * It takes heroic virtue to be faithful in this culture and I wouldn’t want to be the one to scandalize the little ones. (Don’t I have enough to answer for already?)

Truth is still truth if no one believes it.
Lies are still lies if everyone believes it.

God bless.

There are practicing Catholics and there are non-practicing Catholics.

That is different from saying that we don’t know if a majority of American or European married Roman Catholics use ABC.

Well you don’t unless you have interviewed the majority of Catholics in America and Europe.
Many polls are nonsense because they speak to few people (maybe a couple of thousand) which does not mean the majority. Also, many polls are done by people with an anti-Catholic agenda.
In short you cannot state as a fact what you claim to know.

Since when has random sampling been thought to be nonsense by the scientific community?

Why are you derailing this thread? The question at hand has to do with receiving the Eucharist while in the state of mortal sin. It’s not about judging who is in any state of sin nor is it about polls and stats.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.