Receiving the Eucharist only from extraordinary ministers

I go to mass almost everyday, but it is in a Poor Clare Sisters convent. At the time of communion the priest goes where the cloistered sisters are, and they receive the Eucharist from him, while the lay people do the normal procession and receive The Holy Eucharist from an extraordinary minister. I attend this mass because it’s more reverent and solemn than most Masses in my area. Do you think it’s ok? Thank you!
Ave Maria!

I think if it weren’t ok, they wouldn’t do it.

Is what OK?

Of course it is.

Sure it’s ok. But I personally wouldn’t like it. I prefer receiving from the priest.

Yes, it is fine.

Why do you have this preference?

Are you referring to a specific EM at your church or s specific priest?

Tradition and comfort. Growing up in the church It was always the priest who handed out to the sacrament. Also I prefer receiving from the hand that consecrated the bread. I’m not against EMHCs and certainly will receive from them but I prefer priests. What I referred to not liking in my post is what the OP said about the congregation receiving from EMHCs everyday day. Would you want to receive exclusively from them and never from a priest?

I pretty much do; I can’t recall the last time I received from a priest. No offense, but the hand giving doesn’t matter to me nearly as much as that being received from the hand. I don’t give a thought to who the minister is in that moment.

That’s probably more common that not, particularly in large churches. People like to sit in the same pew at the same mass. At communion, the priest stands in the same location to distribute communion.

If the priest is in the center aisle, the individual likes a pew on the right aisle.

The Eucharist isn’t about who you receive it from, so it doesn’t matter.

In my parish, the disabled only have Extraordinary ministers all the time. Disabled can mean physically or mentally. Our priest only does one side of the central aisle. At least everyone has the opportunity to have communion.

Could you explain more how this works? Is it announced before Mass that those with disabilities may not approach the Priest/go to the Priest’s side of the central aisle?

I receive grom a permanent deacon every week. He is the minister for our line.

It is not announced. Most people sit in the pews for the disabled. The mentally disabled are in the same area. They have their own Mass once a month. Even when they are not seated in the assigned areas, the ushers make sure that the disabled have communion where they are sitting and before all others go to communion. The side with the “handicap” area is near the door to handicap parking and restrooms. Our ushers provide listening aids and mobility help to those who need it. This has been on going for years and a number of priests/pastors. It works for our parish. The disabled just do not get to have communion from a priest.

Our church has the kneelers removed from the first pew so that wheelchairs, walkers and scooters can fit easily. (I think they may have moved the front of the first pews a foot out in edition to removing kneelers.)
There are also sometimes a group of mentally disabled people and their chaperones in that row.

Sometimes the priest goes to one side of the aisle, sometimes the other. It depends on which priest says mass. No one minds whether it’s the priest or the EM.

Like Ann_Stanton’s parish, that is by the handicap accessible entrance, as the other entrance has steps.

It all works smoothly.

Read and repeat the first three words of the thread title. As long as you are in a state of sanctifying grace, does it matter?

Of course it is ok. I am surprised you are asking. Are you a new Catholic?

I’m sure that this particular priest has figured out the current system works out smooth as silk, so why tinker with success.

This topic was automatically closed after 29 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.