Receiving the Eucharist twice in one day (quick replies appreciated)

I've gotten a lot of conflicting info on this...

So I went to mass this morning and I'd really like to go again tonight to our 7:30 student mass... I received this morning; does that mean I cannot receive tonight? I wasn't serving/assisting at either of the masses.

Thanks and God bless!
lefty22

I found soemthing here:
moleski.net/cac/Receiving_communion_twice_in_one_day
(I hope this is a good website? Can somebody tell me? I think it is from the Jesuits??)

When you are unsure, you can ask the priest before mass?
I also have in my mind that it is ok to receivce it a second time it is during a full mass. I have asked a priest before myself. But sometimes things are different in different places or situations, so I don't want to say I am 100 percent sure...

For the Roman Rite Catholic (I have not looked at the Eastern Catholic Code):

Yes one can receive a second time (midnight to midnight -24 hours) - so long as the second Holy Communion is during a Mass your participating in (one does Not need to do some particular service like lector etc...they mean that one is there for the Mass --not that one just happened to walk into the Mass say as a tourist in a Church in Rome....)

And of course the normal required prep...such as no mortal sins....fasting an hour before Communion...

catholic.com/quickquestions/is-it-all-right-to-attend-mass-and-receive-communion-twice-in-one-day

To the best of my understanding, it is acceptable to receive twice in the same day if you are participating in both Masses. This has not always been the case, but I'm not sure when it changed. When I was growing up, you were only allowed to receive once.

interesting how in "my" link it says that BOTH times have to be during full masses. I also don't remember hearing this before.

[quote="babochka, post:5, topic:302600"]
To the best of my understanding, it is acceptable to receive twice in the same day if you are participating in both Masses. This has not always been the case, but I'm not sure when it changed.

[/quote]

The* first *Holy Communion can take place outside of Mass or at a Mass one say walked in on in visiting a Church.

catholic.com/quickquestions/is-it-all-right-to-attend-mass-and-receive-communion-twice-in-one-day

catholic.com/quickquestions/how-many-times-in-a-day-may-i-receive-communion

[quote="lefty22, post:1, topic:302600"]

So I went to mass this morning and I'd really like to go again tonight to our 7:30 student mass... I received this morning; does that mean I cannot receive tonight? I wasn't serving/assisting at either of the masses.

Thanks and God bless!
lefty22

[/quote]

In the circumstances you describe, yes! You can receive Holy Communion twice in one day. On the first occasion you may receive it in any way it is licitly administered. On the second occasion, it must be during Mass (cf. Can. 917).

Great, thanks so much everyone! I wasn't sure if "participating" meant you had to be serving, or if it simply meant being present/participating at mass.

I appreciate your replies!

[quote="lefty22, post:1, topic:302600"]

Thanks and God bless!
lefty22

[/quote]

You know, for the sake of better communion: you do not "have" to receive the Lord...it is never something "mandatory"...what is given out of love should be received out of love. As posted above, Canon Law appears to allow Holy Communion twice, but I think it is far more important to focus on the intention :) A person who cannot - for whatever reason - receive the Lord and yet longs strongly to be united with Him can be assured to receive great blessings through spiritual communion :)

For the official answer, see Canon Law:

Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 921, §2.

As Bookcat said, by “participate”, it means that you are attending the Mass, not necessarily that you’re reading, or serving, or the like.

[quote="R_C, post:11, topic:302600"]
You know, for the sake of better communion: you do not "have" to receive the Lord...it is never something "mandatory"...what is given out of love should be received out of love. As posted above, Canon Law appears to allow Holy Communion twice, but I think it is far more important to focus on the intention :) A person who cannot - for whatever reason - receive the Lord and yet longs strongly to be united with Him can be assured to receive great blessings through spiritual communion :)

[/quote]

The replies given to the OP were pertinent to the question that he posed. You can receive Holy Communion twice in one day. It is not for us to judge whether the OP is properly disposed to receive the Eucharist.

[quote="Matthew_Holford, post:13, topic:302600"]
The replies given to the OP were pertinent to the question that he posed. You can receive Holy Communion twice in one day. It is not for us to judge whether the OP is properly disposed to receive the Eucharist.

[/quote]

I apologize if to you I sounded judgmental. I had no intention whatsoever to judge anyone's disposition.

All I am trying to point out is that Communion becomes truly wonderful when we seek it out of sheer love, abandoning ourselves and our will. Since the person in question manifested a longing to participate in Holy Mass, I wanted to take the occasion to point out that it would be even more wonderful to seek the Lord not just because Canon Law allows it but because something in his heart longs for it.

[quote="R_C, post:14, topic:302600"]
I apologize if to you I sounded judgmental. I had no intention whatsoever to judge anyone's disposition.

All I am trying to point out is that Communion becomes truly wonderful when we seek it out of sheer love, abandoning ourselves and our will. Since the person in question manifested a longing to participate in Holy Mass, I wanted to take the occasion to point out that it would be even more wonderful to seek the Lord not just because Canon Law allows it but because something in his heart longs for it.

[/quote]

I must have misunderstood you; my apologies. I would agree that we should be properly disposed to receive the Eucharist and be humbled by this amazing gift from God. I am also a strong believer that we ought to go to Mass on Sundays out of desire and not solely because it is obligatory.

Does anybody know why on this link
moleski.net/cac/Receiving_com...ice_in_one_day
it seems to indicate that BOTH times have to be during masses?

The link appears not to work.

it works, for some reason, when I click on it in my first post (the second post of this thread, right after the original post)

moleski.net/cac/Receiving_communion_twice_in_one_day

here it says the perosn must aprticipate in two full masses... I think I have not heard this before. I also thought only the second one has to be a full mass.

(But I think last time I asked a priest about this, that priest knew that I already had been to a mass in the morning, so that was not the question)

oh, and of course, to receive, we have to be in a state of grace, that is, not committed mortal sin without going to confession

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.