Receiving The Eucharist

How do you receive the Eucharist?

On The Tongue

[quote=starrs0]How do you receive the Eucharist?
[/quote]

On the tongue!

I’ve been asked ‘why’ before by my CRHP brothers.

I told them I felt it was more reverent.
One less filthy thing thing between me and Christ.
It’s what I grew up doing and don’t really have a convincing argument to change.

cheers!

michel

I recieve on the tongue because thats how it was at my first communion back in the late 70s. Its also my opinion that it is way way way more respectful to our LORD.

When I converted 10 years ago next week(!) I was taught to receive in the hand. Shortly after coming into the Church I decided to receive on the tongue because for me it felt more reverent. My husband has Arthritis in his hands so he receives on the tongue because he was afraid of dropping the Eucharist.

I’ve rec. in my hand until recently. Some time ago, I read that the Holy Father did not really cotton to it and only allowed it. I truly loved and revered (love and revere!) JPtG, so out of love for him, I rec. on the tongue now, unless I’m not feeling that great. I don’t think the priest or EMHC needs to put their hand near my mouth if I know I have a cold.

I have to go with the tongue although I believe EUM need to be better trained as many today are uncomfortable and drop the Host. :frowning: Thanks and God Bless.

every time we move to a new parish I experiment with receiving on the tongue a few times. In 30 years and 5 dioceses I have yet to find a parish where the ministers or even the priest knows how to administer communion on the tongue. Usually I stand there with my head back and tongue hanging out and the minister does not make a move so I just give up. Also I have only once seen a parish where there is a server with a paten standing ready for those who wish to receive on the tongue. there is one Lithuanian parish who administers by intinction (priest only), that we go to when we visit that town. To me that is much the preferred way of receiving the Body and Blood of the Savior.

I have never done it one the tongue and, to tell the truth, do not know if I would be able to. For some reason, it seem it would be uncomfortable for me.

PF

Having had nerve damage in my right hand that causes me to drop mundane objects on a not-infrequent basis, I always receive on the tongue. My concentration would be all on making sure my hand functioned properly (I have mobility, I lack sensation) otherwise.

Fortunately, my parish still has a high percentage of people who receive on the tongue, so it doesn’t come as something unexpected to any of our priests or deacons.

I was told receiving in the hand was just as good. So when baptized that’s what I did. This last sunday I didn’t have a free hand (sleeping baby) so I received by tongue.
I think I prefer the tongue now, especially with that horrible scene with people stealing Jesus and EBAY!!

If it’s given by the priest and there is a paten, I take it on the tongue.

If it is an EM and there is no paten I take it on the hand Same with a priest and no paten. I figure, better the host be in my hand than fall on the floor (I’ve never seen an EM with a paten).

I only receive on the tongue. I am really not for receiving in the hand, but if you are going to receive in the hand, I think it important to be aware of the guidelines for receiving this way:

NOTIFICATION OF THE SACRED CONGREGATION FOR THE DIVINE WORSHIP AND THE DISCIPLINE OF THE SACRAMENTS ON COMMUNION IN THE HAND

The Holy See, since 1969, while maintaining the traditional manner of distributing communion, has granted to those Episcopal Conferences that have requested it, the faculty of distributing communion by placing the host in the hands of the faithful.

This faculty is governed by the Instructions Memoriale Domini and Immensae caritatis (29 May 1969: AAS 61, 1969, 541-546; 29 January 1973; AAS 65, 1973, 264-271) and by the Ritual De sacra Communione published 21 June 1973, n. 21. Nevertheless it would seem to be opportune to draw attention to the following points:

1. **Communion in the hand should show, as much as communion on the tongue, due respect towards the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. **For this reason emphasis should be laid, as was done by the Fathers of the Church, upon the dignity of the gesture of the communicant. Thus, the newly baptized at the end of the 4th century were directed to stretch out both hands making “the left hand a throne for the right hand, which receives the King” (Fifth mystagogical cathechesis of Jerusalem, n. 21: PG 33, col. 1125, or Sources chret., 126, p. 171; St. John Chrysostom, Homily 47: PG 63, col. 898, etc.) (In practice the opposite direction has to be given to the faithful: the left hand is to be placed upon the right hand, so that the sacred host can be conveyed to the mouth with the right hand.)

2. Again following the teaching of the Fathers, insistence is to be laid upon the importance of the Amen said in response to the formula of the minister “The Body of Christ”; this Amen is an affirmation of faith: “Cum ergo petieris, dicit tibi sacerdos ‘Corpus Christi’ et tu dicis ‘Amen’, hoc est ‘verum’; quod confitetur lingua, teneat affectus” (St. Ambrose De Sacramentis, 4, 25: SC 25 bis, p. 116).

3. **The communicant who has received the Eucharist in the hand is to consume it before returning to his place, moving aside yet remaining facing the altar in order to allow the person following to approach the minister.

4. It is from the Church that the faithful receive the holy Eucharist, which is communion in the Body of the Lord and in the Church; for this reason the communicant should not take from the paten or container, as would be done for ordinary bread, but the hands must be stretched out to receive it from the minister of communion.

5**. Out of respect for the Eucharist, cleanliness of hands is expected, children need to be reminded of this.**

1. It is necessary that the faithful receive sound catechesis in this matter, and that insistence be laid upon the sentiments of adoration and respect that are required towards this most holy sacrament (cf. Dominicae cenae, n. 11). Care must be taken that fragments of the consecrated host are not lost (cf. Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 2 May 1972: Prot. N. 89/71, in Notitiae 1972, p. 227).

7**. The faithful are not to be obliged to adopt the practice of communion in the hand, each one is free to communicate in one way or the other.
These norms and those indicated in the documents cited above are designed to recall the duty of respect for the Eucharist and apply independently of the way in which communion is received.

**Those who have the care of souls should insist not only upon the necessary dispositions for the fruitful reception of communion, which in certain instances demands recourse to the sacrament of Reconciliation, but also upon an external attitude which conveys a sense of respect in general and expresses in particular the belief of the faithful in the Eucharist.
From the Congregation of Divine Worship, 3 April, 1985.

+Augustin Mayer, O.S.B.
Titular Archbishop of Satriano
Pro-Prefect

+Virgilio Noe
Titular Archbishop of Voncaria
Secretary

I like it in my hand because it reminds me that I am holding the body of Christ as Mary cradled him at the cross and it reminds me that I have been “bought and at a price.” The reality of what He went through and that He needs my hands to carry on His work really hits home for me this way. I realize others feel differently though and understand that and don’t criticize it at all.

Like this:

:bowdown2: :amen: :stuck_out_tongue: :bowdown2: :amen: http://www.progresstalk.com/images/smilies/drink.gif :gopray2:

I receive the Eucharist in the hand because that is how I was taught as an adult convert a few years ago. If I had been taught to receive on my tongue, I would that.

Most people in any Church I’ve been to receive in the hand, so I guess it’s also just me fitting in. I would feel weird trying for the tongue because I don’t know what to do, even though the tongue seems more reverent.

I also was taught to hold my right hand in my left (“the left had a throne for the right”) so that is what I do. I never heard that it should be the opposite.

I receive the HOly Eucharist in my hand because it allows me to spend just that little extra time knowing that I am truly taking Jesus in. Our parish allows us on Sundays to receive also Jesus’ blood, so I always partake in this wonderful gift as well.

Tongue. Always have and always will. Although in my parish I am in the minority - only half a dozen or maybe even less do. For the longest time no-one ever did so I thought I had missed a change that using the tongue was not allowed. :bigyikes:

Of course, my priest knows and is always ready. But, if I’m attending mass out of town it always throws the priest when I stick out that tounge.

On the tongue. It is truly RECIEVING (like a baby bird) the Eucharist, rather than “getting” the Eucharist (like a paycheck, or something). Just my preference.

I recieve in the way that is acceptable to the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.