"Receiving the Sacraments in Mortal Sin--What Happens;" a Short Article

Mortal sin keeps a person from receiving God’s great gift of grace then, this account explains. But with a good confession the grace of the sacrament can suddenly come into the person’s soul. (Mortal sin [mentioned in 1 John 5:16-17] is the most serious kind of sin, involves a grave violation of God’s law.)
see taylormarshall.com/2016/05/receiving-sacraments-in-mortal-sin-what-happens.html

It’s nothing new. Receiving any Sacrament of the Living in the state of mortal sin is a sacrilege. Only the Sacraments of the Dead can be worthily received in a state of mortal sin. For unrepeatable or relatively unrepeatable sacraments, graces are deferred until the person is reconciled, then they apply.

What I find interesting is that apparently becoming open to life or changing wrt whatever would have been an impediment *later *validates the marriage. Does this require a complete conversion? If the couple later divorces and applies for an annullment, is that taken into account?

I am not a canon lawyer.

But logically, an honest, open hearing can and should take this into account. Same thing with a couple having had a radical sanation. If they divorce, a competent tribunal would account for this, and if they see no issues with the radical sanation, the decree of nullity ought not be granted.

But then again, I am not a canon lawyer.

The marriage would be invalid right from the beginning for such a reason, as if for example they intended having no children when they marry. If the marriage is invalid for this or another reason, they could get an annulment. Obviously if they wished to be married in the Catholic Church there would have to be a change, such as deciding it okay to have children. Sometimes this change would mean a conversion of heart to the faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.