Recent confession and scrupulous thoughts

Goodmorning Gods people,
I recently went to confession and because I am quite scrupulous I had intrusive thoughts during confession, I confessed to having bad thoughts in general, I am also quite new to confession as my church doesn’t really offer it. I just want to know if I’m forgiven for these thoughts and for what I said in confession. I also must add in that I don’t think I said the prayer right, the priest was wonderful and gave good words of advice. This was an open confession so I couldn’t really hear him that well. Am I still forgiven even though I said my prayer wrong and couldn’t really hear my father priest?

You are scrupulous. You need to discuss this with your priest

Your right, I need to talk more in depth with him about this, God Bless

Intrusive thoughts are not sins, since they are not freely chosen. And to echo what Rose said, you need to talk about this to your priest. Posting these questions online will just drive your scrupulosity, since you’ll never really find a satisfactory answer, and there’s a high probability of habitual posting just turning into an endless search for validation.

You are in my prayers.

-Fr ACEGC

I realized that it could be me just reassurance seeking? I can’t tell if it is or not, the prayer part I actually wonder about though, I didn’t know what to say as it was my second time going to Holy Confession. God bless you! <3

If by “the prayer,” you mean the Act of Contrition, there isn’t a single “right way” to do it. It can be as simple as “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner,” or it can be one of the other forumlae that most people learn when they’re young or first entering the Church. Just as long as you express sorrow for your sins, it’s fine. And even if you don’t know it or don’t do one at all, it has no bearing on the validity of your confession. Sorrow for sins is presumed by your presence in the confessional at all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.