Recipe for meatloaf

Hi boys and girls,

I know you Americans are crazy about your meatloaf. I have never eaten it, and I'm curious. Could you provide me with a good, simple recipe that I can easily follow?

Thanks a lot!

LJS

Here's how I make mine... it might be a bit plain for some though.

• 1 package Onion Soup Mix
  • 1-2 pounds of ground beef (I usually use lean)
  • 1 egg
  • breadcrumbs (I use the kind you buy as breadcrumbs). I kind of just add these until I get the right feel. Maybe a cup or so?
  • a heaping tablespoon of sour cream or two
  • salt and pepper

• Set the oven to 350 F.

• Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them together. Don't think it's gross, but I usually wash my hands really well, remove any rings and "kneed" it. It's just so much easier than trying to stir it.

• Bake uncovered, for about an hour.

• When it's finished, pop the loaf out of the pan and put it on a plate.

• Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.

I like mine plain. But some people eat it with mushroom gravy or ketchup. Some great side dishes are mashed potatoes and green beans (or any veggie).

[quote="mellowcalico, post:2, topic:222862"]
Here's how I make mine... it might be a bit plain for some though.

• 1 package Onion Soup Mix
  • 1-2 pounds of ground beef (I usually use lean)
  • 1 egg
  • breadcrumbs (I use the kind you buy as breadcrumbs). I kind of just add these until I get the right feel. Maybe a cup or so?
  • a heaping tablespoon of sour cream or two
  • salt and pepper

• Set the oven to 350 F.

• Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them together. Don't think it's gross, but I usually wash my hands really well, remove any rings and "kneed" it. It's just so much easier than trying to stir it.

• Bake uncovered, for about an hour.

• When it's finished, pop the loaf out of the pan and put it on a plate.

• Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.

I like mine plain. But some people eat it with mushroom gravy or ketchup. Some great side dishes are mashed potatoes and green beans (or any veggie).

[/quote]

My recipe is very similar, but I usually use either the ends of the loaf of bread and tear it up real small. If I do not have dried out bread, I crumble up plain soda crackers to use as the "filler".

I sometimes cut up an onion, and add just a little of the onion soup for extra flavor. chopped green pepper if I have it on hand.

I wait until the meatloaf is about done and spread ketchup over the top, then let it finish baking.

Leftovers make the most delicious of sandwiches!

Oh my, I have made myself hungry for meatloaf!

Ps, don't forget to pour the grease off as it bakes, or the bottom of the loaf will get "crispy". Enjoy.

[quote="LongJohnSilver, post:1, topic:222862"]
Hi boys and girls, I know you Americans are crazy about your meatloaf. I have never eaten it, and I'm curious. Could you provide me with a good, simple recipe that I can easily follow? Thanks a lot! LJS

[/quote]

Never meatloaf ? Where are you from ?

Best served with mashed potatoes, yummy!

The truth is, a lot of Americans are not fond of meat loaf, because there is a lot of bad meat loaf recipes out there.

Look to see if your grocery has "meatloaf mix". That was a mixture of beef, pork, and veal in the old days, but that isn't common anymore. Otherwise, either use half ground beef and half ground pork. There are good all-beef recipes, but it is more difficult to get a good result without pork or veal. Stay away from meat loaf containing ground turkey. That is not where you want to learn what meat loaf tastes like!

Better yet, just get online, find Chowhound.com, and ask if anyone knows a local restaurant that makes a truly good meat loaf. It doesn't get easier than that. Then you'll at least know if you like the basic idea before you go through the work of making one yourself.

For recipes, go to Epicurious.com....try recipes with lots of reviews, and be sure to read the reviews before trying a recipe. (Don't be automatically put off by a lack of stars. Read why the people giving 2 stars out of 5 marked the recipe down.)

[quote="EasterJoy, post:5, topic:222862"]
Better yet, just get online, find Chowhound.com, For recipes, go to Epicurious.com....try recipes with lots of reviews, and be sure to read the reviews before trying a recipe.

[/quote]

allrecipes.com

is another popular recipe website, but be aware that some recipes continue to get 4 and 5 stars and people aren't even evaluating the original recipe (they're adding in all the ingredients stated by other reviewers).

The family recipe I use - calls for topping with Heinz Chili Sauce but Ketchup works in a pinch.

[quote="Barbkw, post:4, topic:222862"]
Never meatloaf ? Where are you from ?

[/quote]

Europe, obv. :p

I only know meatloaf from the Hollywood movies. It sounds delicious!

Thanks all! I'll try the recipe from mellowcalico and jump to the professional recipe sites when I think I'm ready. :)

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking forward to my next kitchen adventure.. Mmmmm! :D

I just use some ground beef, some salsa, and bread crumbs.

I wish I could give you measurements, but that's not how I roll. I just poor the salsa and bread crumbs until it looks just about right. After the salsa and bread crumbs are added I mix everything well, put it in a loaf pan and cook at 350 until the meat is cooked all the way through.

I hope I can remember 350 degrees is in Fahrenheit, not in Celsius. Otherwise my meatloaf will be very black. :blush:

[quote="LongJohnSilver, post:9, topic:222862"]
I hope I can remember 350 degrees is in Fahrenheit, not in Celsius. Otherwise my meatloaf will be very black. :blush:

[/quote]

Yeah that is so true! lol!

I like a bit more bite to my meatloaf so I use
ground beef
bread crumbs or 5 minute oatmeal
Heinz Chili Sauce, maybe 1/2 cup depending on the amount of meat
a cup or so of chopped up onion
a clove or two of minced garlic
1 egg
salt & pepper

Like many, I do this by feel as I'm mixing it.

Sometimes, instead of chili sauce, I go Indian and saute onions and garlic to which I add turmeric, coriander, cumin and garam masala. Cool and add to the ground beef and breadcrumbs. I think of it as a loaf of "keema without peas". :D

That sounds yummie, Phemie :thumbsup:

How long usually in the oven? About an hour, mellow said. How can I check if it is done?

I have a hot air oven by the way.

Edit: also, does it rise?

[quote="LongJohnSilver, post:12, topic:222862"]

How long usually in the oven? About an hour, mellow said. How can I check if it is done?

[/quote]

NO it doesn't rise, but you may find it will shrink some. Shrinking is do to the grease leaving it. That's why you'll also want to drain it as others have stated. How much shrinking has to do with how much grease is in your ground beef.

About and hour is the standard cooking time.

It's done when the meat is cooked all the way through. I check by cutting mine down the middle.

Now that we've made the meat loaf, let's address the sandwich on the second day. How do you make yours?

I spread some multigrain bread with Hellmann's mayo and place the meatloaf on one side. Then I squirt ketchup directly on the meat loaf and close the sandwich. It's best served with an ice cold glass of milk.

I use cheez-its instead of breadcrumbs or crackers. And I make mine in a cupcake pan (its stoneware) so everyone gets their own little mini meatloaves.

Not sure if you guys have cheez-its LOL they are cheese flavored crackers.

My husband makes me make his is a casserole dish - and put a can of tomato soup (with water) in it. Then you cut up potatoes and put them in the soup to bake. I'm not a fan - I like dry meatloaf.

Regardless of what recipe you use, don't cook it in a loaf pan. Instead, put it on a sheet pan and form it into a "loaf" shape. The benefit to doing this is that it provides more of a crisp crust on the outside.

[quote="Bataar, post:16, topic:222862"]
Regardless of what recipe you use, don't cook it in a loaf pan. Instead, put it on a sheet pan and form it into a "loaf" shape. The benefit to doing this is that it provides more of a crisp crust on the outside.

[/quote]

Make sure that sheet pan has sides to contain the grease. A cookie sheet will NOT do. A jelly roll pan will.

[quote="LongJohnSilver, post:12, topic:222862"]

[/quote]

An hour will usually do it, but as with any ground meat dish, it's safest to use a meat thermometer. I cook until it reaches 160ºF (70.1ºC) in the middle.

As someone else said, it doesn't rise, it shrinks away from the sides of the pan -- how much depends on whether you used lean or regular ground beef.

I don't want a crust all around so I do use a loaf pan. I have a convection oven so I usually have a nice crisp top, particularly if I brush the top with more chili sauce.

[quote="baltobetsy, post:14, topic:222862"]
Now that we've made the meat loaf, let's address the sandwich on the second day. How do you make yours?

I spread some multigrain bread with Hellmann's mayo and place the meatloaf on one side. Then I squirt ketchup directly on the meat loaf and close the sandwich. It's best served with an ice cold glass of milk.

[/quote]

What is this "second day" of meatloaf you talk about? All mine gets eaten :p

Good luck with the meatloaf LongJohnSilver! The nice thing about meatloaf is you don't have to be perfect with it. I also cut mine in half and make sure it's cooked as well. I have a gas oven, so that might cook differently than your convection oven.

OMG...meatloaf is fabulous! I love it. I had no idea why it could get a bad rap? I used to make mine with (and this sounds odd I know) hard-boiled eggs placed in the center. Sound weird? It's sooo good. I am trying to find the recipe 'cause it wasn't my own but it works out so well. Or you could just throw a few eggs in the middle of any of the recipes above I'm sure!

I find a great mac & cheese compliments meatloaf perfectly. Talk about comfort food! :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.