Reciting the Chaplet of Divine Mercy

Hello everyone, let me introduce myself. My name is Wil. I used to be a strong atheist and thought all Christians were wackos and religion should be outlawed but then I found god. Anyway, this may sound like a dumb question but I am new to the catholic religion and am trying my best to memorize and recite prayers.

Anyways, my girlfriend has been helping me come back into religion/Christianity and tonight she wants me to recite the Chaplet of Divine Mercy to her. I know most of it but there is one thing I do not understand. While going through the black beads you are suposed to say things like "Jesus is aided by simon" and "Jesus is nailed to the cross" I don't know those and can't figure it out and find it anywhere. Can someone please help explain this to me in the correct order.

Thanks you,

Sincerely Wil the softwareghost( hehe my computer programming codename:))

This is how you say the Chaplet of Divine Mercy:

First you say one Our Father, one Hail Mary, and the Apostles Creed.

On the big beads (the Our Father ones) you say, "Eternal Father, I offer You the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world."

Then on the ten small beads (the Hail Mary ones) you say, "For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

The whole thing is repeated for the five separate decades on the rosary.

At the very end, you say three times, "Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

That's it. Some add prayers at the beginning and at the end, but that is the basic chaplet.

[quote="softwareghost, post:1, topic:233339"]
Hello everyone, let me introduce myself. My name is Wil. I used to be a strong atheist and thought all Christians were wackos and religion should be outlawed but then I found god. Anyway, this may sound like a dumb question but I am new to the catholic religion and am trying my best to memorize and recite prayers.

Anyways, my girlfriend has been helping me come back into religion/Christianity and tonight she wants me to recite the Chaplet of Divine Mercy to her. I know most of it but there is one thing I do not understand. While going through the black beads you are suposed to say things like "Jesus is aided by simon" and "Jesus is nailed to the cross" I don't know those and can't figure it out and find it anywhere. Can someone please help explain this to me in the correct order.

Thanks you,

Sincerely Wil the softwareghost( hehe my computer programming codename:))

[/quote]

Hi Wil and WELCOME!!

Wild Thing gave you the words to the "Divine Mercy Chaplet"

What you seem to be referring to in your post is what is known as "The Way of the Cross" or the "Stations of the Cross" so I am not sure which one your girlfriend has directed you too...

We can give you both if you would like. :thumbsup:

There are many variations to the "Stations of the Cross" but this following link is the one I think most are familiar with

fisheaters.com/stations.html

[quote="softwareghost, post:1, topic:233339"]

Anyways, my girlfriend has been helping me come back into religion/Christianity and tonight she wants me to recite the Chaplet of Divine Mercy to her. I know most of it but there is one thing I do not understand. While going through the black beads you are suposed to say things like "Jesus is aided by simon" and "Jesus is nailed to the cross" I don't know those and can't figure it out and find it anywhere. Can someone please help explain this to me in the correct order.)

[/quote]

sorry I did not learn those expressions and have never heard them in recitations of the chaplet. Surely you mean your friend wishes you to recite the prayers with her, not to her.

It sounds like you have an amazing girlfriend.

In any case. She might have some special devotional that she has come up with or that is uncommon. The bead color doesn't generally mean anything.

Don't worry if you don't "connect" right away with what your girlfriend is trying to show you. Each time I say the rosary it is a different experience. If you don't connect with whatever form of the Chaplet or the Way or whatever there are many, many other variations that work at different times in our lives and even at different times of the day.

Blessings!

My favorite prayer for sure. We need to pray for mercy for us and the whole world everyday.:harp:

Old thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.