Reckless Driving/Careless Driving

catholicparents.org/oxcart/Examination%20of%20Conscience.pdf

According to this examination of conscience, driving recklessly or dangerously is considered a mortal sin, whereas driving carelessly counts as a venial sin. What is the difference exactly?

I could see going way above the speed limit or cutting people off as possible mortal sins, but what about things like not checking blind spots when switching lanes (as in just looking at the side mirrors and/or the rear mirror; something that I’ve been guilty of)?

I suspect that a big part of the difference would be intent.

If you look in a side mirror and forget to check the blind spot, the intent is not sinful. Mortal sin requires full foreknowledge and consent.

Peace
James

I suspect that a big part of the difference would be intent.

If you look in a side mirror and forget to check the blind spot, the intent is not sinful. Mortal sin requires full foreknowledge and consent.

So if I were to switch lanes by only looking at the side mirrors thinking that I would be fine, that would be sinful (mortal?, venial?)

This is just my opinion so bear that in mind - - Such questions are best answered by your confessor.

In the scenerio above the sin of carelessness would venial. It is not a sin of “commission” because you did not mean to cut someone off, rather it is a sin of “omission” because you did not think and act in Love of your neighbor by not being careful enough.

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.