Recognizing loved ones in heaven

Hi everybody-- my name is Kathy and this is my first post. I have a question I hope someone can help me out with. On Sundays I visit a nursing home and conduct a communion service. This past Sunday before the service, one of the residents asked me a question: “If we get to heaven, will we recognize our loved ones, or will we just know them in spirit?” I told him I thought we would recognize them, and indeed they were all around us now, only a veil separates us. Later on however, I kept thinking about this wondered. What do you think? I was hoping for some input from you – I really appreciate it! Thanks, Kathy

Great question, but nobody has been back to tell us about it. There are those that feel that we will know loved ones. There are those who feel that we will not. Jesus did say that there will be no state of marriage, when they tried to trap him over a person having more than one spouse. Remember that Jesus was difficult to recognize after he rose from the dead. It has led some to say that we will look differently in the spirit. After the breaking of the bread, he was recognized. After speaking to Mary at the tomb, she recognized him.
In heaven, Jesus will know us and we will know him, I can’t say for sure if we will know eachother.

Deacon Tony

So, here’s a quickie: will we have consciousness in Heaven?

Eamon

Another great thought. I believe that we can only guess about many of these questions. Many mysteries will remain until the end of time.

Deacon Tony

How can we not have consciousness in Heaven? All the saints in heaven pray for us here on earth, and…that takes consciousness. Right?

[quote=Princess_Abby]How can we not have consciousness in Heaven? All the saints in heaven pray for us here on earth, and…that takes consciousness. Right?
[/quote]

Right.

Besides which, what’s the point of being in Heaven if you’re unconscious?

[quote=JoeMike]Right.

[/quote]

I agree with both of you. But I have always thought that it must be some heightened form of consciousness, because it would get boring after a while as it stands now :wink: I assume that God’s sustaining us will also give us something else that we have no way of fathoming right now.

I was just curious to see what other people thought.

Eamon

I am sure that we will know our loved ones in Heaven. We will also have the Beatific Vision–direct knowledge of God, and of course, consciousness of ourself and others.

[quote=JoeMike]Right.

[/quote]

I’ve occasionally thought maybe heaven was the lack of the misery that earthly consciousness brings!

Of course that is not correct, but it did run through my mind.

Alan

I think the same thing. I hate to think this way too. I think of standing around all day doing - What? We have no idea and can only reeason with our limited earthly intelligence. I am sad at the prospect of not knowing my family if that is what happens. At the same time, I believe we will be supremely happy and all these petty thoughts are not important. No one knows for sure I guess.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.