Recommend me 'short story' writers

I love reading short stories. So far I’ve read Arthur Conan Doyle, G. K. Chesterton’s Father Brown stories, and P. G. Wodehouse’s Jeeves.

I read “The Schartz-Metterklume Method” by Saki and I liked it so much that I ordered his Collected Short Stories. I’ve also read “The Hitchhiker” by Roald Dahl but I don’t know how good his other stories are. I have read a couple of stories by O Henry and Mupassaunt but didn’t like them that much, they were a little boring. So please recommend me some good short story writers I can read. I like all genres. But please don’t recommend works which can be offensive to christians. :slight_smile:

I really enjoy short stories. Here's some you might enjoy:

*Some collections:
**Jean Shepard: Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories and other Disasters
(If you liked the adventures of Ralphie in *Christmas Story
, you'll love this)
Cordwainer Smith: The Rediscovery of Man (Great sci fi)
T. Coraghessan Boyle: T.C. Boyle Stories
John Cheever: The Stories of John Cheever
J.D. Salinger: Nine Stories
Bernard Malamud: Complete Stories
Roald Dahl: Kiss, Kiss (The childrens author's macabre side)

Some Authors:
Mark Twain
Edgar Allen Poe
Herman Melville
John Updike
Flannery O'Connor (A Catholic Writer)

Father William Bausch has a series of softcover books, among them “More Compelling Stories”. Here’s a link at Amazon, and you can find others through this link:

google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS300&q=more+telling+stories+compelling+stories&aq=0v&aqi=g-v1&aql=&oq=More+telling+stories

These are all inspirational short stories.

Enjoy!

Ray Bradbury.

His short story, The Inspired Chicken Bungalow Court (later called The Inspired Chicken Motel--presumably for folks in the East who don't know what a bungalow court was), originally printed in West Magazine, Nov 2, 1969, was such a marvel to me as a teenager, that I decided to become a writer myself.

Any of his works are wonderful to me, and he writes more than just science fiction.

Jean Shepard and Cordwainer Smith... :thumbsup:

Dean Koontz has one short story collection, Strange Highways.

Ray Bradbury, maybe?

Flannery O'Connor has some you might enjoy. Of you enjoyed Father Brown, you might also try Dorothy Sayers' mystery stories, some of which are short stories.

Maurice Walsh (the Quiet Man is from one of his stories)

Flannery OConnor is the master of the art of the American short story

Saki (H H Munro)

Jeeves series - PG Wodehouse, both are British social history as well

Father Brown, by Chesterton the perfect marriage if mysteries of crime and mysteries of religion

Dorothy Sayers has a book of Lord Peter Wimsey shorts that are masterful

I just downloaded F Scott Fitzgerald's short story collection, interesting to see the evolution of his talent

Hemingway's Nick Adams stories some of which are set in my part of Michigan are also to my mind some of the best ever written in America

Guy de Maupassant is considered the master of the "slice of life" short story. Perhaps you would like to look up his work.

Mark Twain's "The Diary of Adam and Eve" had me laughing and crying when I first read it as a newlywed some twenty-three years ago... and it still makes me laugh and cry!

I would recommend more modern writers like Raymond Carver, who seems to be wearing well, but I don't know what you mean by your standards. It is hard to find any literature that does not rely for plot elements at least sometimes on human sin and error since they are the major plot elements of life, which all good fiction draws from.

I always recommend old anthologies. Often you can find them inexpensively in used book stores and it let's you have exposure to a variety of authors. My favorite standby is Story The Fiction of the Forties edited by Whit and Hallie Burnett. It's got a nice mix of Tennessee Williams, Norman Mailer, JD Salinger, Faulkner, and others.

How is it that no one has mentioned Jorge Luis Borges? Frankly, I think he has mastered the art of the short story.

Although, of course, I rather like G. K. Chesterton and Ray Bradbury.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.