Recommendation for non-believer who wants to read the bible

I would start with the Gospel of Mark. It’s the shortest and knowing who Jesus is, what He taught, and what He came to do will give a strong perspective for the rest of the Bible

1 Like

Okay, between you and @adamhovey1988 I have changed my mind. I’ll think I’ll go with an RSV edition.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, both the translation and the layout of the Knox Bible are very user-friendly and readable. Rather than being in the two-or-three column layout we’re used to with most Bibles, it has more of a single-column layout that’s more like a novel’s layout-- and it has a big impact on readability. The translation itself is very elegant and readable as well, although if you have certain expectations as to how a particular famous passage reads, it can be a little jarring.

So— grabbing a random paragraph-- Daniel 9–

Knox:
Then Darius the Mede, son of Assuerus, was raised to the throne of Chaldaea; and in the year when his reign began who but I, Daniel, should discover by the reading of old records, how to compute the seventy years of Jerusalem’s widowhood? Such doom the Lord had foretold to the prophet Jeremias. And with that, I turned to the Lord my God; pray to him I would, and sue for mercy, fasting ever, sackcloth and ashes my only wear.

NIV:
In the first year of Darius son of Xerxes (a Mede by descent), who was made ruler over the Babylonian kingdom— in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the Scriptures, according to the word of the Lord given to Jeremiah the prophet, that the desolation of Jerusalem would last seventy years. So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.

Good News (we used this one in high school)
Darius the Mede, who was the son of Xerxes, ruled over the kingdom of Babylonia. In the first year of his reign I was studying the sacred books and thinking about the seventy years that Jerusalem would be in ruins, according to what the Lord had told the prophet Jeremiah. And I prayed earnestly to the Lord God, pleading with him, fasting, wearing sackcloth, and sitting in ashes. I prayed to the Lord my God and confessed the sins of my people.

RSV:
In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasu-e′rus, by birth a Mede, who became king over the realm of the Chalde′ans— in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, perceived in the books the number of years which, according to the word of the Lord to Jeremiah the prophet, must pass before the end of the desolations of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years.

Then I turned my face to the Lord God, seeking him by prayer and supplications with fasting and sackcloth and ashes.

NABRE:
It was the first year that Darius, son of Ahasuerus, of the race of the Medes, reigned over the kingdom of the Chaldeans; in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, perceived in the books the number of years the Lord had decreed to the prophet Jeremiah: Jerusalem was to lie in ruins for seventy years.

I turned to the Lord God, to seek help, in prayer and petition, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes.

2 Likes

I’d suggest starting with the Gospel of John, then Acts, then Romans, then the letters of St Paul

1 Like

any specific Kreef recommendations ?

the two basic things i wish i could get unbelievers to understand:
the Church is made up of people, and people are flawed. that is not the same thing as the Church being flawed.
religion should not be a matter of choosing the one that most closely aligns to what you already believe (morally); your (moral) belief should be informed by what religion you believe is true.

1 Like

Maybe You Can Understand The Bible or perhaps Christianity for Modern Pagans, or even the classic Handbook of Christian Apologetics.

You can peruse the content and reviews at GoodReads and perhaps one of them will “click”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.