Recommendations for my next leisure read!

I need help selecting my next leisure reading material.

As of now I am reading “Letters to a Young Catholic” by George Weigel.

I would like it to be some what religious, but very light! Someone already suggested “Swimming with Scapulars,” not sure of the author, please let me know if you recommend it or not.

I am in school full time and I like to have something simple to take my mind off of what I am studying. I prefer a non-fiction book, something along the lines of “Letters to a Young Catholic”.

Thank you for your help

I strongly suggest The Shadow of His Wings by Gereon Goldmann. This is the review:

Here is the astonishing true story of the harrowing experiences of a young German seminarian drafted into Hitler’s dreaded SS at the onset of World War II. Without betraying his Christian ideals, against all odds, and in the face of Evil, Gereon Goldmann was able to complete his priestly training, be ordained, and secretly minister to German Catholic soldiers and innocent civilian victims caught up in the horrors of war. How it all came to pass will astound you.Father Goldmann tells of his own incredible experiences of the trials of war, his many escapes from almost certain death, and the diabolical persecution that he and his fellow Catholic soldiers encountered on account of their faith. What emerges is an extraordinary witness to the workings of Divine Providence and the undying power of love, prayer, faith, and sacrifice.

Swimming with Scapulars is by Matthew Lickona. I LOVED it and would recommend it. It had a part in bringing me into the Church. :thumbsup: He has a postmodern mindset, which I can identify with, but at the same time is very committed to being Catholic and remaining faithful to the Magisterium. :smiley:

I am still looking for some suggestions—

I will take any type of suggestion even fiction. Give me anything. Something fun, easy and light to read!

What are my Catholic Brethren reading right now?

Try James Martin: My Life with the Saints. It is about the relevence of the saints to one’s spiritual odyssey. I have given to several friends and relatives as a gift and have really enjoyed it.

I just read “I Choose God” by Peter Ericksen & Chris Cuddy. It’s something like “Surprised by Truth” but written by young Catholics. There’s a brief review on my blog.

It’s light and simple.

The next one i recommend is “Search and Rescue” by Patrick Madrid. Don’t know why but I love this book very much haha…:smiley:

How about “Ten prayers God Always Says Yes To.” by Anthony DeStefano. Its not that long, I got it for free in the mail, Im just skipping around, but it looks good so far.

“Mother Angelica’s Answers, Not Promises”

“How Firm a Foundation” by Marcus Grodi (it’s fiction, but it’s great!)

Patrick Madrid’s “Surprised by Truth” series

Read my novels!

jazzicals.com/

They’re written for young teenagers, but grown-ups like them, too. And they have a “Catholic” bent, but it’s subtle. (The second novel in the series is a mystery involving the Rosary.)

Keep an eye out for the third novel in the series, The White Rose Affair, in which the Jazzicals team tries to track down a racist hate group that is terrorizing their city.

I’ll warn you–don’t read them in the bathtub or while laying out in the sun. Fans have been known to shrivel themselves to prune-like state, or to cook themselves red after getting caught up in one of my novels!

I’m not sure that this would be considered “light” reading, depends on your point of view. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is wonderful, also the Hobbit.

Find The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi (sp?)

It’s a collection of short stories set in a village in Italy (after the First World War?? I think??) It’s fun, light, religious, but in no way heavy handed, and often hysterically funny! :thumbsup:

Friends,
Where do you find these books such as the “Scapulars” book you were talking about?
:shrug:

Swimming with Scapulars? Amazon. Here

This sounds pretty good!

thanks for all your suggestions.

Someone else suggested…“And God said Play Ball” a book on baseball and the religious side of it. Has anyone heard of it?

I’m halfway through Don Camillo and love it, definitely light hearted fun.

Have just finished “Padre Pio, the Irish Connection” and Fr. Gabriel Amorth’s “An Exorcist’s Tale”. Would recommend them both.

Friends,
Where do you find out about Catholic authors?
I wouldn’t want to read something that isn’t appropriate.:wink:

I am going to have to read this book some time soon. Perhad two or three leisure reads away.

In terms of a leisure read, I really enjoyed Anne Rice’s Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt. It was alot more spiritual then I had anticipated. She did a magnificant job handling Our Lady and St. Joseph. It’s fiction, but good fiction. Suprisingly it’s helped alot in my meditations.

Fiction:
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet. A FASCINATING novel of life in 12th century England and a very believeable story about how the magnificent cathedrals came to be. It IS fiction, so of course the author’s own worldview colors those of all the characters. He does a pretty evenhanded job in this book, but its sequal “World Without End” seems to me to betray an agnostic or at least a Deistic worldview (God doesn’t matter) in the heart of the author. Nevertheless, the first book is a wonderful story whose main theme is very catholic: Man is good, but sinful. When he works towards a society based on Natural Law, human rights and justice he prospers. When he seeks power and personal advantage only, he reaps ruin and destruction for himself and his whole community.

Non-fiction:
How the Reformation Happened - Hillaire Belloc. A surprising read for this GenX American who grew up absorbing a lot of Protestant propaganda without realizing it. Scholarly, but clear.

Yes, I’m realizing just how culturally ignorant my tech-heavy engineering education has left me and am compensating!

You don’t know how happy that last line would have made him. He once said that his goal in writing was to attain to the lucidity of “Mary Had A Little Lamb”.

He also wanted this on his tombstone:
His sins were scarlet, but his books were read.

Oh, the pun!:ouch:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.