Recommendations on books for a non-Christian

I figured the apologetics forum would be the proper place for this. I have a younger sister who is going through the various stresses of the first year living on her own as an adult and she is searching out for self help material. I figured, what a wonderful opportunity to help her explore Christianity! We were born into a Catholic family but the faith was never really practiced in our home. She is not really sure what she believes I think. Could you all provide some recommendations on any books that you think might assist her and start to bring her on the road home? I don’t think anything overtly Catholic will intrigue her, and I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Mere Christianity by C S Lewis is aimed at non-believers, and he deliberately avoids apologetics issues that divide Christians.

I would recommend the first eleven chapters of Proverbs. It lays out quite clearly the major temptations of youth, wine, women, song, easy gain so to speak and the effects. As well as what happens to those who have wisdom.

Can’t be beat, every young person should be guided through a study of at least those chapters, even if they at first reject them, and go on their way, it has a way of coming back and them realizing over time just how true it all is.

JJ

“The Case for Christ,” by Lee Strobel, is my favorite book. I’ve used it countless times in debates, and no one has ever been able to refute its arguments and evidence that the New Testament is reliable, and Jesus Christ is the resurrected and risen Son of God. I strongly recommend it.

The Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

And a Catholic Bible, if she doesn’t have one already.

If your sister is looking specifically for self-help type books, here are some that might be helpful:
[list]
*]Spiritual Passages: The Psychology of Spiritual Develpment by Fr. Benedict Groeschel
]Any book by Gregory Popcak, particularly:[list]]God Help Me! These People Are Driving Me Nuts,
*]God Help Me! This Stress Is Driving Me Crazy, and
*]Life Shouldn’t Look Like This: Dealing With Disappointment in the Light of Faith.[/list][/list]

If you’re looking for general apologetics books that present the case for Christianity, then the above recommendations from the other posters would be good. I would also heartily recommend Yes or No?: Straight Answers to Tough Questions about Christianity by Peter Kreeft.

What’s So Great About Christianity
By: Dinesh D’Souza
What’s so great about our faith? Challenging the assumptions of believers and skeptics alike, D’Souza takes on E.O. Wilson, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, and other leading critics of the church to show how Christianity is at home with science and philosophy—and how it can offer lasting happiness in a disillusioned world. 256 pages, hardcover from Regnery.
christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=985179&kw=985179&en=froogle&p=1013824#curr

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.