Recommendations?

I’m looking for any suggestions for books, websites, youtube videos, podcasts, facebook groups, blogs, or whatever that covers what’s necessary for salvation. Obviously must follow Catholic teaching. My intention is to share with the misinformed and uninformed in my family who some of them don’t even know Catholics are Christian. Hoping for simple, short and sweet. Lots of short attention spans out there. Thank you all in advance.

God bless.

The errors of heretics are sometimes like very tight knots. It’s hard to say what would help you the most in a particular situation.

if you can be more specific, about what your own weaknesses are (to put the matter a bit bluntly) then maybe the rest of us could be more specific.

At least you found the forum to be in – apologetics. That’s what you’re after. (if I’ve spelled that correctly)

At a very high level of technical complexity, you might try Veritatis Splendor by Pope St. John Paul II.

At a much more readable level, there’s the old standby, Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating.

There are many new authors putting out books on apologetics. A good one on the Blessed Virgin is “Behold Your Mother” by Tim Staples – but it’s good because it’s deep. You have to spend time on this one. My niece is struggling with it.

Well, I want something that gives what the Church teaches on salvation primarily that is short enough that “busy” people might actually read or listen to. I know the answers but I’m not good at explaing it and refuting protestant stuff that has crept in. I recently heard a Steve Ray talk that was good and I think that style of his works well with younger ppl. It can’t be wordy or long. I cant whip open the catechism and say the Church this and the Church that. They will get that thousand yard stare and I’m talking to myself.

Catholic Answers YouTube videos helped me discover the truth. I was raised Baptist and I grew up learning that Catholics were part of a cult, that Jesus wasn’t present in their Church. When I opened my mind and decided to look into the Church, I found their videos and discovered that most of my questions, they had videos that answered them. Conversion stories also helped, like that of Dr. Scott Hahn (Rome, Sweet Home is an awesome book!) and Patrick Madrid’s Surprised By Truth books.

A very interesting thread:
Protestants, Mortal Sins, Salvation!

There is a book called, “Catholicism for Dummies” It’s part of all those dummy books. Hope your relatives won’t get insulted by it but they may know about the dummy series or you can tell them. It should have all the issues that people don’t understand explained in an easy way.

Here it is on Amazon–

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_23?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=catholicism%20for%20dummies&sprefix=Catholicism+for+dummies%2Caps%2C1985

For Catholics, the minimum requirement for salvation are called the precepts of the Church.

You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor.
You shall confess your sins at least once a year.
You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season.
You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church.
You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church.

You must also try as best as you can to live a moral life in obedience to God’s commandments as taught to you by the Church. These are the absolute minimum requirements for Catholics.

-Tim-

«The Drama of Salvation» by Jimmy Akin will be released in Marc this year. “Jimmy Akin uses his expertise in Scripture and Church teaching to cut through the confusion and provide clear answers on important issues like: What we need to do to be saved” and much more.

Thank you all for the replies. Some good ideas here that I can use. I’ve prayed to God that if He can use me for this reason then I’m wanting to be used. The problem so far has been keeping it simple enough to not loose them. Ppl have very little patience for a “learning” experience. They want the TV version of everything.

youtube.com/user/CatholicsComeHome/videos

People want an elevator pitch. What I have learned to do is give my witness.

What my life was like before I knew Jesus
How I met Jesus
How my life has changed now that I know Jesus

That’s Christian witness. Paul does it three times in Acts of the Apostles.

If people see a demonstrable change then they are willing to listen. Then it is time to start talking about how, but first you have to start with why.

People really don’t want doctrine. They want to know why their life stinks, why bad things happen and why they have done everything they were told but they still are not happy. They are told that Christianity is a religion of peace and joy but they don’t see it in the behavior of Christians. If you can demonstrate peace and joy then they will listen.

-Tim-

Well said Tim.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.