Recommended Catholic Universities?

Hello,

Recently, I've been looking for Catholic Universities which are deep in orthodoxy, obey the Church's teaching and have a good religious and spiritual life. Do you guys have any recommendation based on those criteria? Also, I'm looking for low-priced university (such as Angelicum, Rome), and have courses in English. Thanks a lot!

Pax vobis

Personally, is rather be sending our orthodox elite to the worst schools on record in order to get active about reclaiming authentic Catholic identity from the teaching body of usurpers.

So the list of school in need of reclamation are:
Georgetown
Creighton

And all high profile basketball schools run by Jesuits.

At Notre Dame the student body is far more Catholic than the administration.

The Franciscan University of Steubenville in Ohio. :thumbsup:

It's too bad they don't offer anything in my daughter's field of interest. :(

Here is some info. you will want:

• My top recommendation would certainly be the Franciscan University of Steubenville - the school is authentically Catholic by every since of the word, very orthodox school and extremely passionate about the faith, the students, professors, staff - everyone can be seen at Mass, worship nights, the chapel etc. and the professors don't just teach the faith but always live it

• other orthodox schools to look at: Ave Maria in Florida, Benedictine in Kansas, Catholic University of America in D.C. Holy Spirit in Atlanta, University of Dallas, St. Thomas Aquinas, Christendom and there are several others all listed here that I would take a look at if I were you : ncregister.com/site/article/16007/

also, make sure to check into the Cardinal Newman Society: thenewmanguide.com/TheCatholicColleges/tabid/506/Default.aspx

Yep. Fransiscan Steubenville is awesome.
Ave Maria too
And University of Dallas.
St Thomas in Houston
Spring Hill in Alabama (exceptional Jesuit)
St Thomas Aquinas in Nashville (Dominicans)
Texas A&M has a great reputation for being very Catholic oriented

My sister is at Franciscan! :thumbsup:

Definitely looking at it myself as well.

I second Franciscan University of Steubenville. I visited there before and I was highly impressed, and I have a number of friends who attend there. I would too if it weren't for the cost!

As far as state colleges, I think Texas A&M is the most Catholic one I know of.

Thomas Aquinas College in California is very prestigious and offers special help if you're in financial need. It's a rigorous and respected program and you graduate with a bachelor's in liberal arts, so it would be prime if you're planning on applying to a grad school somewhere after your 4 years.

I agree with the poster who said we need to send more of our firmly grounded in their faith, Catholic students to those Catholic universities who are in danger of losing their identities. Notre Dame is one such school. Our youngest daughter is graduating from there this May. It has been a wonderful experience for her but she has been bombarded by secularism from all sides. Due to the hard work of the Cardinal Newman society and The Sycamore Trust (a group of dedicated Catholic ND alumni), the trend is beginning to reverse itself towards a more Catholic Board of Directors, faculty, staff and student body. It can be a very spiritually rewarding four years but it does require a strong faith and strong support from the family back home. It is a shame that this is the case. Strong Catholic families can turn this around by sending their children to ND. I don't haver personal experience with either Stubenville or Ava Maria but have heard good things about both schools.

[quote="carolbb, post:9, topic:266864"]
I agree with the poster who said we need to send more of our firmly grounded in their faith, Catholic students to those Catholic universities who are in danger of losing their identities. Notre Dame is one such school. Our youngest daughter is graduating from there this May. It has been a wonderful experience for her but she has been bombarded by secularism from all sides. Due to the hard work of the Cardinal Newman society and The Sycamore Trust (a group of dedicated Catholic ND alumni), the trend is beginning to reverse itself towards a more Catholic Board of Directors, faculty, staff and student body. It can be a very spiritually rewarding four years but it does require a strong faith and strong support from the family back home. It is a shame that this is the case. Strong Catholic families can turn this around by sending their children to ND. I don't haver personal experience with either Stubenville or Ava Maria but have heard good things about both schools.

[/quote]

As a father of two devout teenage Catholics, I guess I disagree with your reasoning. If ND and Steubenville were equal choices, I would recommend Steubenville for my kids because of the Catholic atmosphere there versus ND. IMO, ND needs to show they are hanging onto their Catholic roots which I don't believe they've shown lately.

My 2 cents

Niagara University (Niagara Falls) or St. John's (Queens) if you're looking toward NY.

Both are rather reasonably priced.

The Vincentian community is pretty spot on with their universities, though I do hear DePaul is a bit... off...:shrug:

Different providence though, so that could be it...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.