Recommended Reading for New Mother of Boy

I am due in August to have a baby boy. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books about how to raise a faith filled Catholic boy? This is my first baby and I didn’t grow up with any brothers so I am a little nervous about raising a boy to love godly and not fall into the snares of the world (whether he is called one day to be a priest or a father!) I appreciate all suggestions. Thank you!

Samantha †

I don’t know of any books but this site is interesting.

angelfire.com/hi3/catholichomeschool/parent.html

How exciting for you! I don’t have any book suggestions, particularly, but I would encourage you to start early with him. Pray for him and with him. Pray over him when he is an infant, before he can speak. Start praying to him and teach him the words to our Catholic prayers. Always let him see you praying.

Your husband will be absolutely critical to form the faith of your son. I hope he’s a solid Catholic with a good base of catechism underneath him. If not, time to get a copy of the catechism and/or some apologetics books and start to study why we do what we do. Deepen your prayer life together with your husband, because your son needs to see that before anything else in your life, God comes first.

If your husband takes charge of your son in a manly, honorable, faithful way, he will have that solid foundation of faith. Your son will need to see his father as his hero, his model for life, his model for God’s love for him. Never ever tear your husband down in front of your son, no matter what, because you would destroy your son’s admiration of his father, thus, his own pride in being a male.

Let your husband have time with your son when you aren’t critiquing, criticizing, staying involved. Many men are a little nervous with an infant, but as soon as they can form that daddy-son bond, the stronger their relationship is going to be. Dads like to do things with their sons and daughters, so ask him to give the baby his bath. Later, they can go for haircuts together. I pray that your husband can actually talk to your son about his faith in God and our Church. The larger world is a difficult place to live, more now than ever, and the more rooted a child is, the more he or she will be able to accomplish for the Lord.

God bless you all and you will be in my prayers.

Thank you for that wonderful response. My husband is a K of C Grand Knight and I do believe him to be very rooted in the faith. While he has his moments (don’t we all), we pray a rosary every night together as a family, and we are both actually in formation as Secular Franciscians. =)

I just know that little boys think differently than girls and process information differently. I am sure that I am going through the regular “will I be a good mom” worrying before the baby is due. Thanks for your wonderful post!

Samantha †

Boys Should be Boys, by Meg Meeker: amazon.com/Boys-Should-Be-Secrets-Raising/dp/1596980575

This might be more useful after the baby is a little older, but I've found it a wonderful guide on raising strong, responsible young men.

congrats! i'm due in july. :D

we didn't want to find out the sex so for "room decoration" I'll put up some religious pictures. just gotta make sure they won't be scary!

that's really good that your husband is involved and that you both pray together. I've been trying to get my husband to say the rosary for quite awhile. though honestly I haven't been good about saying it often either. maybe, if your schedule allows it, taking the baby to daily mass?

[quote="Kaizmom, post:4, topic:235564"]
Thank you for that wonderful response. My husband is a K of C Grand Knight and I do believe him to be very rooted in the faith. While he has his moments (don't we all), we pray a rosary every night together as a family, and we are both actually in formation as Secular Franciscians. =)

I just know that little boys think differently than girls and process information differently. I am sure that I am going through the regular "will I be a good mom" worrying before the baby is due. Thanks for your wonderful post!

Samantha †

[/quote]

Because you are concerned about being a good mom, you will be a great mom. Getting him ready to meet the world is just the beginning - once you meet him in person the fun begins.

Let's see...more advice from a mom of 2 normal sons...Don't buy fussy expensive furniture or decorations. Even the most careful of boys will have those wrestling sessions with Daddy where they get a little carried away...or maybe there will be a brother or two to follow. Stick to slipcovers that wash, use stainproof material when you can, tile floors can be almost hosed down, and you can put rugs over the parts you need some softer areas, like in front of the TV. Carpet stains, no matter what the store tells you! We had a rule, "Food and drink in the kitchen only." And the boys obeyed that rule unless I let them have a snack in the living room. The younger one started sneaking food into his room in middle school, unfortunately, and now he eats in front of the TV, but he's 17 so I can't spank him for it! :) But the older guy never eats in any room other than the kitchen (he's more cooperative in general than his younger brother).

Get rid of all your little knick-knacks or you risk breakage. Once your son starts walking, stuff just happens...paint on doorways gets chipped...frisbees get thrown inside...balls go astray, backpacks end up on top of bookshelves. Boys are just not as careful with their stuff or their bodies as girls are, in general.

Keep extra blankets and pillows so he (they) can build pillow forts on rainy days. Stock up on bandaids, you'll need them! But don't panic when he scrapes his knee. Teach him to put his own bandaid on, unless a limb is missing. Say a prayer with him

Learn to wear slippers or sandals in the house - Lego pieces really HURT when you step on them in the dark! They make a lot of noise in the vacuum cleaner but I've never had a vacuum actually break from eating Legos.

Be fully prepared to have all sorts of wildlife brought into your house, from frogs and toads to baby birds, turtles, of course puppies and cats too. And friends. Keep food that kids like around if possible. Once they get to be teenagers, you can't really keep the food around for long, it's like having a hurricane blow through, but in between assaults you can make it to the store for more provisions.

Does it sound like a 3-ring circus? Some days, it will be, especially if you end up with more than 1 boy. I know a woman who had 10 sons, sequentially, no twins. I am sure she has a corner in Heaven waiting for her!

There is absolutely nothing like the arms of a little boy around your neck. Or his sweet little kisses on your cheek, "I love you Mommy." I wish I could go back and do it all over again! Maybe someday I will be able to have grandsons or granddaughters. It's been such a wonderful adventure. I wish I could have had 6 or more.

Oh, one more piece of advice about boys - NEVER change his diaper without putting something over his front...there's something about having their diaper removed that makes boys let go and pee all over the place...Seems like everyone has to go through it at least once but it can be shocking if you aren't expecting it!

:D

Thank you for all the WONDERFUL responses! I am apprehensive, but excited at the same time. For a while (while I am on maternity leave) I will take the little one to daily mass and every chance I get after that!

You all have made me feel so much better about this and about how I will be as a mother. Bless you all!

[quote="smallcat, post:5, topic:235564"]
Boys Should be Boys, by Meg Meeker: amazon.com/Boys-Should-Be-Secrets-Raising/dp/1596980575

This might be more useful after the baby is a little older, but I've found it a wonderful guide on raising strong, responsible young men.

[/quote]

I just was going to recommend this. I am reading it now and it is excellent.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:7, topic:235564"]
Because you are concerned about being a good mom, you will be a great mom. Getting him ready to meet the world is just the beginning - once you meet him in person the fun begins.

Let's see...more advice from a mom of 2 normal sons...Don't buy fussy expensive furniture or decorations. Even the most careful of boys will have those wrestling sessions with Daddy where they get a little carried away...or maybe there will be a brother or two to follow. Stick to slipcovers that wash, use stainproof material when you can, tile floors can be almost hosed down, and you can put rugs over the parts you need some softer areas, like in front of the TV. Carpet stains, no matter what the store tells you! We had a rule, "Food and drink in the kitchen only." And the boys obeyed that rule unless I let them have a snack in the living room. The younger one started sneaking food into his room in middle school, unfortunately, and now he eats in front of the TV, but he's 17 so I can't spank him for it! :) But the older guy never eats in any room other than the kitchen (he's more cooperative in general than his younger brother).

Get rid of all your little knick-knacks or you risk breakage. Once your son starts walking, stuff just happens...paint on doorways gets chipped...frisbees get thrown inside...balls go astray, backpacks end up on top of bookshelves. Boys are just not as careful with their stuff or their bodies as girls are, in general.

Keep extra blankets and pillows so he (they) can build pillow forts on rainy days. Stock up on bandaids, you'll need them! But don't panic when he scrapes his knee. Teach him to put his own bandaid on, unless a limb is missing. Say a prayer with him

Learn to wear slippers or sandals in the house - Lego pieces really HURT when you step on them in the dark! They make a lot of noise in the vacuum cleaner but I've never had a vacuum actually break from eating Legos.

Be fully prepared to have all sorts of wildlife brought into your house, from frogs and toads to baby birds, turtles, of course puppies and cats too. And friends. Keep food that kids like around if possible. Once they get to be teenagers, you can't really keep the food around for long, it's like having a hurricane blow through, but in between assaults you can make it to the store for more provisions.

Does it sound like a 3-ring circus? Some days, it will be, especially if you end up with more than 1 boy. I know a woman who had 10 sons, sequentially, no twins. I am sure she has a corner in Heaven waiting for her!

There is absolutely nothing like the arms of a little boy around your neck. Or his sweet little kisses on your cheek, "I love you Mommy." I wish I could go back and do it all over again! Maybe someday I will be able to have grandsons or granddaughters. It's been such a wonderful adventure. I wish I could have had 6 or more.

Oh, one more piece of advice about boys - NEVER change his diaper without putting something over his front...there's something about having their diaper removed that makes boys let go and pee all over the place...Seems like everyone has to go through it at least once but it can be shocking if you aren't expecting it!

:D

[/quote]

:D Yes, Lego's are both wonderful ( lots of fun, great for them to use ) and terrible ( one of the worst pains ever. I once knelt down on one and it hurt so bad I cried! It went right in between the bones of my knee! ) Tim Hawkins describes stepping on a Lego as taking second place to the pain of labor:eek: I agree!

I do have to say, I've never boxed up breakables and we've never had the kids break anything:shrug:

And girls can pee just a far a boys! I never thought it was possible, but it is. Our oldest daughter would pee everytime we took off her diaper....we called her the mad piddler:D

Kids are awesome! Have fun with your son. Make memories and have more babies so he has someone to play with:)

Bringing Up Boys, by Dr. James Dobson

Yes, it's by a Protestant, but I don't think you'll find any anti-Catholicism in it. Dr. Dobson has recently endorsed Rick Santorum for President, so he is definitely not anti-Catholic.

His book Bringing Up Boys makes me wish my husband and I had had boys.

There is lots of practical advice in the book, including some of the same principles that several other posters have already mentioned.

And there are some hilarious descriptions of typical boy-behavior--it's just so funny. I was laughing so hard that my stomach hurt.

Dr. Dobson is not a pastor, BTW, he's a clinical psychologist with several decades of practice. He was on the faculty of USC, a secular university. A lot of people think he's a pastor because he had a radio show and because he speaks up about God and Christian values. But he's not a pastor.

Try it.

He also has a companion book that he just wrote last year called Bringing Up Girls.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.