Reconciliation / Confession

The topic of the sacrament of Reconciliation / Confession was brought up in the course of a discussion of a Catholic Facebook group. I’m posting it here seeking input from others.
What is your experience with this sacrament?
Do you go to Confession?
How often?
Do you go to individual confession, or to communal Reconciliation services?
How do you choose a confessor?
In your experience, is it best to go to the same confessor?
Do you have any advice to share with someone who’s “rusty” with this sacrament?

Thanks, and God bless you.

acts17verse28.blogspot.com/

I have had a wonderful experience with confession. I truly enjoy it and it is essential to my faith.

Do you go to Confession?
of course!

How often?
weekly

individual confession, I am not comfortable at all with communal. I thought it was illicit but it seems to be encouraged at the moment? :shrug:

How do you choose a confessor?**
find a priest you are comfortable with, that you can get to know, normally this is your parish priest but sometimes they are not. Mine isn’t.
In your experience, is it best to go to the same confessor?**
Yes!, if you can go to the same confessor each time, this way they can help you with sins that you may have to struggle to overcome over a period of time
Do you have any advice to share with someone who’s “rusty” with this sacrament?**
I assume you know how to confess your sins and the prayers to say but if you have forgotten don’t be afraid to ask. My advice would be to go often, make a good examination of conscience (you can really good ones online). get to the church early so that you can have time to pray and go to confession before mass. sometimes the priest will have to hear some folks’ confessions after mass if there are a lot of people. and most importantly DON"T BE AFRAID! Go to confession! :smiley:

What is your experience with this sacrament? I have never been met with anything other than kindness and compassion from the priest. Sometimes it is not easy, sometimes I am very nervous, but it is a merciful gift.

Do you go to Confession? Yes.

How often? Currently, about every 6 weeks.

Do you go to individual confession, or to communal Reconciliation services? Usually, it is individual confession before Mass or on Saturday afternoon. I like the communal services - individual confession is always a part of them - but they are held only a couple of times a year at centralized locations in the diocese. There is something reassuring about being among other sinners, though, especially if you go infrequently.

How do you choose a confessor? I start with my pastor. So far, I’ve had no reason to look further.

In your experience, is it best to go to the same confessor? Yes. It has taken a while, but I feel comfortable enough to ask questions, he knows my situation and knows what I struggle with and gives advice accordingly.

Do you have any advice to share with someone who’s “rusty” with this sacrament? check out the reconcilation page at www.frpat.com, get the Confession CD from www.catholicity.com, GO!, do not be afraid - the priest will not fall off of his chair or gasp in horror

always with so much compassion and understanding
Do you go to Confession?
yes
How often?
it varies about every 6 to 8 weeks
both at communal services there is indvidual confession
i chose a good friend of mine who is one of our associate priests as he knows me the best and i’m more relaxed with him
yes definitely especially if you’re like me and struggle with the same sins again and again
get a good reconciliation book or look online but most importantly go to confession the priest is there to help you if you don’t know what to do just ask him

It is one of the greatest treasures of my Catholic faith. I absolutely love it!

Do you go to Confession?

Yes!

How often?

Every week or two. Sometimes sooner if something is weighing on my conscience.

Individual confession. If you go to a communal Reconciliation service, it still includes (or should include) individual confession. General absolution without individual confession is forbidden except in emergency situations (e.g., when the ship is sinking, etc.), and must be followed by individual confession as soon as possible (it’s like an “IOU”).

I start by going to Mass a few times, seeing how reverently a priest offers Mass, how holy is his preaching, whether he seems to value the Sacrament of Reconciliation, whether he seems to be faithful to the teachings of the Church. I go to confession to him once or twice, and if he gives me wise advice that helps me overcome sinful habits, I stick with him. If he tries to tell me something is not a sin when I know in fact that it is, I move on.

Yes, absolutely, if he is a good one. It’s like going to the same doctor each time you get sick; they get to know your history and can help you better.

Just do it! Tell the priest it has been a while, and he will help you. If you think it will take you more than a few minutes, make an appointment with the priest so you will not have to be nervous about making other people in line wait.

What is your experience with this sacrament? I have never been met with anything other than understanding and compassion.

Do you go to Confession? Yes

How often? About eight times a year

Do you go to individual confession, or to communal Reconciliation services? Always individual, face-to-face

How do you choose a confessor? My confessor is my spiritual director

In your experience, is it best to go to the same confessor? Yes, if possible.

Do you have any advice to share with someone who’s “rusty” with this sacrament? **Make an appointment with a reliable priest to discuss why you have become ‘rusty’. It may be fear, a previous bad experience or just simply bad catechesis. **

Always good experiences.
Do you go to Confession?
Yes
How often?
Try to go every other month
Individual, face to face
Find a priest who is both reverent and whom you feel comfortable talking to.
Yes, the better the confessor knows you the more he’ll be able to help you with your struggles.
I always pray, a lot, before I go. and if you haven’t been in a long time, let the priest know, he’ll help you through it.

What is your experience with this sacrament? The best ones are when I am most prepared.

Do you go to Confession? Yes - I have truly come to love this sacrament and I am so blessed to be Catholic!

How often? Every 8 weeks or so. A few years ago, I made a New Year’s resolution to go to confession more often. It is the only New Year’s resolution that I have ever kept in my life.

Do you go to individual confession, or to communal Reconciliation services? Both - because the communal ones offer individual confession. I also usually go face-to-face, but I had an amazing confession a few months ago that was from behind the screen.

How do you choose a confessor? I go to whichever priest is there on Saturday afternoons.

In your experience, is it best to go to the same confessor? Yes, if possible.

Do you have any advice to share with someone who’s “rusty” with this sacrament? Let the priest know that you are rusty. He will help you. And always remember that he is acting for Christ and that God loves you for being there!

What is your experience with this sacrament? I have had nothing but good experiences with the sacrament. The priest at my parish always says “Welcome” when you go in, before making the sign of the cross. Even when I am nervous or ashamed to confess my sins, that one word is very calming. It reminds me of the love and mercy of Jesus.

**Do you go to Confession? ** Yes, just started going again recently after years not going.

How often? Once every 1 to 2 months.

Do you go to individual confession, or to communal Reconciliation services? Individual.

How do you choose a confessor? I usually go to my parish priest.

In your experience, is it best to go to the same confessor? Not really.

Do you have any advice to share with someone who’s “rusty” with this sacrament? Just go. I was very nervous when I started going again and very happy I did.

What is your experience with this sacrament? Almost all wonderful for over 45 years of confessions.

Do you go to Confession? Yes, regularly!

How often? Between weekly and monthly.

Do you go to individual confession, or to communal Reconciliation services? Individual.

How do you choose a confessor? Pray for God to show the one He has chosen. Try out priests with a reputation for orthodoxy and see who really understands me.

In your experience, is it best to go to the same confessor? Definitely, especially if you are dealing with serious issues or even just trying hard to be holy. The priest will remember you and be able to be much more helpful if you stay with him.

Do you have any advice to share with someone who’s “rusty” with this sacrament? The best words you’ll ever hear are, “I absolve you from your sins.” Go, don’t leave anything out because of embarrassment, and go again soon!

Betsy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.