Reconciliation online

Wow, this is a new one to me. I've been having a discourse with a friend and haven't had time to discuss this with my priest yet. My friend tells me that confessions are available online and are valid. I of course disagree. What are your thoughts?

Not a chance as absolution has to be given in person

They are not valid in the slightest. The Sacrament of Reconciliation must take place face-to-face.

All sacraments are personal and all must occur in person.

no not face to face or that would rule out the use of the confessional .

Confession has to be in person

Face to face online for those who have camera set up perhaps ?

You need to be sure they are a priest and everything is 100% confidential. Anyone could be reading the confessions if you think about it and be replying. Emailing is very good but well even I don't do email confession.thoughs hare far more than I do in confession and i trust that one priest. No point since I can get to church. sometimes one just have to have that physical presence.

[quote="The_Idiot, post:5, topic:289781"]
no not face to face or that would rule out the use of the confessional .

Confession has to be in person

[/quote]

Thats what I meant. It's still face-to-face, even with the confessional screen.

[quote="englishredrose, post:6, topic:289781"]
Face to face online for those who have camera set up perhaps ?

[/quote]

No, This is not permissible.

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:7, topic:289781"]
Thats what I meant. It's still face-to-face, even with the confessional screen.

[/quote]

More like face to ear. ;)

Your confession could be outsourced to a call center in India :slight_smile:

Anyone who does a confession online is ignorant of how the internet works.

You people don' think that what you do on the internet is anonymous, do you? Remember when they tapped into Newt Gingrich's phone conversation, how easy that was?

If I wanted to, I could sit in a coffee shop with a laptop and look at data traversing their wireless network all day long - unencrypted emails with spreadsheets and word docs attached, chat conversations, etc. It's not difficult and it doesn't take a hacker from Uzbekestan to do it.

I keep a small savings account at the credit union which I use with a debit card for online purchases. When I want to buy a fifteen dollar book from Scepter Publishing, I move $15 into that account. Postal mail is more secure than the internet.

I wouldn't do a confession online even if the Holy Father offered to hear it. OK, so what are they going to hear - that I yelled at my kids, ate half of a chocolate cake and looked at the cashier in the grocery store with lust? Big deal, right? But still, I'm not having my confession sit in some database on a server in datacenter in Fairfax, Virginia.

No, no, no. Not online for me. Not unless I'm in a space ship orbiting Jupiter and about to die or something like that.

-Tim-

[quote="ExCatholicGuy, post:10, topic:289781"]
Your confession could be outsourced to a call center in India :)

[/quote]

Please go to confessions.webex.com and input your attendee ID number 777.

This phone call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes.

-Tim-

It's not a real URL. Don't click on it. ;)

No, your friend is mistaken.

I’d have to disagree. I haven’t heard of any valid confessions taking place online…:confused:

Catholics cannot confess via iPhone and technology is not a substitute for being present when admitting sins to a priest, the Vatican spokesman said on Wednesday.
The statement by Father Federico Lombardi follows the launch of an iPhone application aimed at helping Catholics through confession sanctioned by the Catholic Church in the United States.
"One cannot speak in any way of confessing via iPhone," Lombardi said Wednesday, adding that confession required the presence of the penitent and the priest.

reuters.com/article/2011/02/09/us-vatican-iphone-idUSTRE7182XQ20110209

Feb 9, 2011

ROME — The Vatican put its foot down Wednesday over the idea of "confessing" by iPhone, after news that US users can now download an application for the Apple gadget that helps the faithful gain absolution.
"It is essential to understand that the rites of penance require a personal dialogue between penitents and their confessor... It cannot be replaced by a computer application," Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi told journalists.
"I must stress to avoid all ambiguity, under no circumstance is it possible to 'confess by iPhone'," he said.
"Confession: A Roman Catholic App," is the first program for the Apple devices created by a South Bend, Indiana-based company called "Little iApps" and sells for 1.99 dollars (1.45 euros) on iTunes.
The app guides the faithful on their path to confession by checking whether their behaviour conforms to the rules of the Scriptures with questions such as "have I been involved in occult practices?"
Its developer, Patrick Leinen, said the app was designed to be used in the confessional and was intended "for those who frequent the sacrament and those who wish to return."
"Our desire is to invite Catholics to engage in their faith through digital technology," Leinen said in a press release on his littleapps.com website.

google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g7qz1gnBSNHb1Z2LjksqxOW8GdkA?docId=CNG.bf09dbb285cf3ab677f4bc7d6d271075.2b1

[quote="ExCatholicGuy, post:10, topic:289781"]
Your confession could be outsourced to a call center in India :)

[/quote]

This will make for some good humor at confession tomorrow morning. Our wonderful priest from SW India has a great sense of humor and is a big fan of Notre Dame. :D

Unfortunately, as pointed out, the Vatican has not yet permitted these electronic confessions.

Perhaps one day we will be as fortunate.

[quote="mburn16, post:17, topic:289781"]
Unfortunately, as pointed out, the Vatican has not yet permitted these electronic confessions.

[/quote]

The internet is not secure, and it is not private. Don't be surprised when your confession winds up on youtube.

-Tim-

[quote="Phemie, post:9, topic:289781"]
More like face to ear. ;)

[/quote]

I had to do face to book/hand a few weeks ago using a make-shift confessional. That.was.weird.

In the Latin Rite online confession is not permitted. Absolution must be given in person. In some Eastern Rite congregations, it's possible to confess over the phone to the priest, but he still must absolve you in person. There's no real getting around it. Just go to confession. :thumbsup:

[quote="mburn16, post:17, topic:289781"]

[/quote]

It won't happen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.