Reconciliation

I have only ever confessed once (this past February) and I would like to go to confession again. I have forgotten the format of confession, though. Can someone please tell me how it goes again? Thanks!

[quote="catholicanne, post:1, topic:287340"]
I have only ever confessed once (this past February) and I would like to go to confession again. I have forgotten the format of confession, though. Can someone please tell me how it goes again? Thanks!

[/quote]

This is how I like to do it....
Walk in, smile at the priest, and as I am sitting down, I say: Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been ________[days/weeks/months/years] since my last confession.

Then I confess my sins. I listen to his council. I say my Act of Contrition, which can be as simple as "Forgive me, God, a sinner" all the way up to a formal, memorized prayer, but nonetheless, one needs to communicate sorrow for sins committed, and intent not to do again.
The priest absolves, I say "Thank you," and "God Bless you." I then rise, and leave the area where this just happened.

I am sure if you have difficulty, the priest will help walk you through it.

Good luck, and may His peace be with you as you do this.

I second all that Big Feet said. I also go sit in the Adoration Chapel b/f going to confession.

Forgiveness is such a wonderful gift from God.

I always go behind the screene and go with the
"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been x ____ since my last confession, I have _______________. For these and all my sins I am truly sorry"
then there's the penance and act of contrition(right? haha, I've only been Catholic for a year:) )
Then the preist absolves you, and normally says "give thanks to the Lord for he is good"
To which you respond "For his mercy endures forever"

I would just add that after I am finished stating my sins, I say, "For these and for all of the sins of my life I am sorry." I say that b/c I can be scrupulous and worry about sins that I may have forgotten to confess. Or I might say something like, "For these and for all of the sins of my life especially those against chastity, charity, humility..." (or whatever virtues I may have sinned most against.) When the priest absolves me I also make the sign of the cross with him, he says, "Go in peace" and I say, "Thanks be to God."

Today I made my 3rd confession. My feelings afterward today were completely different than the first two. My 1st I was scared to death, embarrassed and thankful it was over. I didn't feel anymore forgiven than when I had walked in b/c I had asked for God's forgiveness in prayer in the past. The 2nd time I didn't have any mortal sins. I had decided that I would go to confession once a month. I don't I was in there a min. This time I did have something that had been bothering me all week. I wanted to go to confession...I needed to go to confession. I sent a text to my priest asking if he would be there early b/c I needed to go to confession. I went to the Adoration chapel b/f he arrived. I already felt the love of Christ b/f we met. He took my nervousness away. He came in and told me he needed a couple of mins. He came up and we chatted with another member and then went to the reconciliation room. I confess face to face. My sin bothered me, but I wasn't nervous b/c I knew Father was there for me...to guide me. This time I left with the feeling of forgiveness. I know have a new found love for the Sacrament. I had no idea it could be like this. Then we had Mass and when I received the Lord I was so thankful.

[quote="maltmom, post:6, topic:287340"]
Today I made my 3rd confession. My feelings afterward today were completely different than the first two. My 1st I was scared to death, embarrassed and thankful it was over. I didn't feel anymore forgiven than when I had walked in b/c I had asked for God's forgiveness in prayer in the past. The 2nd time I didn't have any mortal sins. I had decided that I would go to confession once a month. I don't I was in there a min. This time I did have something that had been bothering me all week. I wanted to go to confession...I needed to go to confession. I sent a text to my priest asking if he would be there early b/c I needed to go to confession. I went to the Adoration chapel b/f he arrived. I already felt the love of Christ b/f we met. He took my nervousness away. He came in and told me he needed a couple of mins. He came up and we chatted with another member and then went to the reconciliation room. I confess face to face. My sin bothered me, but I wasn't nervous b/c I knew Father was there for me...to guide me. This time I left with the feeling of forgiveness. I know have a new found love for the Sacrament. I had no idea it could be like this. Then we had Mass and when I received the Lord I was so thankful.

[/quote]

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. I'm seeking a loving forgiveness too. :)

When I confessed the first time I remember Father gave me a list like this to use to make sure I had covered all my sins:
theworkofgod.org/Library/examine.htm

Should I use this again for my next confession or would just something off the top of my head do?

[quote="catholicanne, post:7, topic:287340"]
That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. I'm seeking a loving forgiveness too. :)

[/quote]

You're welcome. My Priest is such a loving, compassionate man. He sits back in his chair, he tilts his head a little and closes his eyes to listen. It's like talking to your best friend. Since I had already taken steps to not commit the same sin again he didn't counsel me on how to not do it again. What he did though was talk about the gift of forgiveness and how we begin anew once forgiven. That our God is a God of love, forgiveness and second chances.

God is waiting for you with open arms.

====================================================

RITE FOR RECONCILIATION OF INDIVIDUAL PENITENTS

After the customary greetings, the penitent makes the Sign of the Cross (+) and says:

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

The priest invites the penitent to have trust in God, in these or similar words:

May God, who has enlightened every heart, help you to know your sins and trust in his mercy.

The penitent answers: Amen.

Either the priest or the penitent may read or say by heart some words taken from the Holy Scripture about the mercy of God and repentance, e.g.;

"Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you" (Jn 21:17)

The penitent tells the preist how long it has been since he has made a good confession with these or similar words:

It has been ___ since my last confession, and I accuse myself of the following sins...

If necessary, the priest helps the penitent to make an integral confession and gives him suitable counsel. The priest proposes an act of penance which the peitent accepts to make satisfaction for sin and to amend his life. The priest then asks the penitent to express his sorrow, which the penitent may do in these or similar words:

My God,
I am sorry for my sins with all my heart,
In choosing to do wrong
and failing to do good,
I have sinned against you
whom I should love above all things.
I firmly intend, with your help,
to do penance,
to sin no more,
and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Our Savoir Jesus Christ
suffered and died for us.
In his name, my God, have mercy.

The priest then gives absolution:

God, the Father of mercies,
through the death and resurrection of his Son
has reconciled the world to himself
and sent the Holy Spirit among us
for the forgiveness of sins;
through the ministry of the Church,
may God give you pardon and peace,
and I absolve you from your sins
in the name of the Father, and of the Son, (+) and of the Holy Spirit.

The penitent answers: Amen.

After the absolution, the priest continues;

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.

The penitent concludes; His mercy endures forever.

The priest dismisses the penitent who has been reconciled, with this or any of the alternative formluae:

The Lord has freed you from your sins, Go in peace.

The penitent may reply. *Thanks be to God. *

The penitent should fulfil the penance imposed.

====================================================

That is how it is supposed to happen. Sometimes the priest will begin before you start, as soon as he hears the door closing, and sometimes he will omit the little verse from memory about the mercy of God and repentance. They are all different. What is important is that you examine your concience thouroughly, recieve absolution, and do the assigned pennance.

I walked into the confessional four years ago and said, "Father, I made one confession in my life when I was eight years old, and it has been thirty seven years since then. I need help."

The examination of concience I use is here. I find it to be very thourough.

-Tim-

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.