Record High- 42% of Americans Identify as Independents" Republican identification lowest in at least 25 years

I’m not surprised, and I would also expect the number of registered Democrats to fall, especially among the younger generation, as they realize just how lame both major parties are. Besides, it’s cool to be Independent.

0 Likes

The reason I didn’t respond to your beefs re the Dems,is because in that regard you were spot on.Most of your comments re the Republicans,amounted to nothing more than left wing talking points:shrug:

0 Likes

in the state if live in, it would not benefit me to be an independent because if I didn’t like a democrat candidate, I would have to be a registered republican to be able to vote for a republican candidate to defeat the democrat. that is in the primary anyway. I have thought of switching to the independent party, but I think I googled them and I am not sure they represent me 100%. so at this point in time, I remain a registered republican although I feel there is not any political party that I feel represents me or I feel will do the job I want them to do.

0 Likes

These are good points. Another problem with the Republicans is that who knows if they are for huge deficits or a balanced budget. For example, the Republican Dick Cheney has said that deficits don’t count and the Reagan had proved it. And the Republican Bush has run up huge deficits.

0 Likes

They both big government parties.

0 Likes

It is the same way here. I switch my registration according to which party the candidate I want to support is in. I’m sure the party people think I’m bi-polar having switched back and forth so many times. :smiley:

0 Likes

Are these the same polls which predicted a Romney win?

0 Likes

If you are so dubious about the accuracy of polls,then why did you post this thread in the first place?:rolleyes:

0 Likes

There are polls and there are polls.

Polls are interesting to me. SOme are accurate, some are not.

And the “slobbering” :wink: media just eats them up- right?

0 Likes

So what you are saying is you believe THIS poll is an accurate one?:wink:

0 Likes

Not really.

0 Likes

:thumbsup: :wink:

0 Likes

i have always heard that most independents lean towards being conservative rather than liberal.

0 Likes

That makes sense to me. The Democrats right now are pretty liberal so most of that mindset will stick with the party they most agree with. I know I’m not the only one troubled not only by the Democrats support for abortion but also for the abortion industries support of the Democrats. I think that alone makes me a conservative leaning independent becuause I don’t expect a pro-life democrat to run any time soon.

It’s definitly a pickle because I am liberal in other areas so I may end up sitting it out depending on who runs (I’m hoping the Republicans run someone more moderate). It’s a shame the 3rd parties are usually far left or far right. Nothing for a pro-life democrat.

0 Likes

I think what you heard is wrong. I would guess that most independents have a mix of some liberal and some conservative ideas, not leaning toward one or the other.

0 Likes

November 2014 is quite a way off so polls now are questionable, but you posted a poll by Gallup. Gallup predicted Romney would have 49% to Obama’s 48% in their last 2012 election poll.

gallup.com/poll/158519/romney-obama-gallup-final-election-survey.aspx

0 Likes

You forgot to mention the margin of error, which always has to be taken into account.

0 Likes

Sure, but even considering the margin of error, they were still off with their result as Obama won with 51.1% and Romney 47.2%. Gallup also claimed that Republicans would have a 1 point voter advantage in the 2012 election, and 3 point advantage counting lean Republican voters over Democrat leaners.

gallup.com/poll/158399/2012-electorate-looks-like-2008.aspx

0 Likes

Sure, but Gallup also claimed that Republicans would have a 1 point voter advantage in the 2012 election, and 3 point advantage counting lean Republican voters over Democrat lean voters. How much of a voter advantage did Democrats have?

gallup.com/poll/158399/2012-electorate-looks-like-2008.aspx

0 Likes

Basically, the polls are showing a dead heat. The polls are taken from a sample of a few thousand people and for one reason or another people may not vote or they may change their minds at the last minute. And the polls are at most with an accuracy of 95% which means that there is a 5% chance that they could be way off. So, my guess is that the margin of error in the polls is larger than the advertised margin of error of 1%. Because of the various factors that can influence voters at the last minute, I would look for a final vote toll in the area of +/- 5% of what the polls are showing.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.