Recruiting eucharistic minister? any ideas?

I’m new here–hi! I’m a Eucharistic Minister (totally humbled by this experience, if you have not yet done this, check into it at your church because it’s a beautiful thing!) and was given my new schedule for the spring, last week. I was asked to also try to recruit one person from the parish to be a EM, as well. I know people in passing, and from my children attending CCD, but I’m not that ‘chummy’ with a lot of the parishioners, so I’m not sure how to go about recruiting? Can you share some ideas with me? Thanks!! :slight_smile:

If I were you I’d first ask God to let you connect with someone who would be interested. I’d pray quite a bit on it for His help. Then start making conversations after Mass just a little bit with people you don’t know or know only slightly. Don’t do a sales pitch, just mention something like “That’s a nice dress” or something about the church or that day’s mass etc. Don’t even mention the Eucharistic Minister part–just remember the person’s face (and name if given). Sooner or later you’ll go deeper into a conversation with someone, and then mention sort of off-hand that you are a Eucharistic Minister. If they show any interest, talk to them more about it.
I think there are many people sitting in the pews who see themselves as doing one of the “jobs” at mass such as EM or Lector, but perhaps mention it only to their spouse.

If you know someone already who could fill the role but who you think will balk at the idea—ask them anyway. Even prod them (nicely) a bit. Sometimes a person just needs a bit of a pulling-in to a specific role and then they take to it very well. This sort of person will probably say “I thought about doing that” but then cite “busy-ness” or shyness as their excuse out. I’ll say a little prayer for you about it and I ask anyone who reads this to do the same.

Hi whatevergirl,

I wouldn’t be too worried about finding another ‘recruit’. Just share your enthusiam for your ministry and others will surely follow. It really is humbling to distribute the precious Body and Blood of our Lord, Jesus Christ. You’ll do just fine, finding more EMHC’s.

We lay persons deputed to perform this ministry are actually Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion (EMHC’s), or Communion Ministers for short. It’s a common mistake for us EMHC’s to call ourselves Eucharistic Ministers. Only ordained Priests can be ordinary ministers of the Eucharist, or Eucharistic Ministers.

I didn’t realize that about the wording for Extraordinary EM–Thanks, cargopilot. :slight_smile:

And thank you both for your ideas–I will try to put them into practice this Sunday…Palm Sunday–when mass is PACKED! :thumbsup:

[quote=whatevergirl]I’m new here–hi! I’m a Eucharistic Minister (totally humbled by this experience, if you have not yet done this, check into it at your church because it’s a beautiful thing!) and was given my new schedule for the spring, last week. I was asked to also try to recruit one person from the parish to be a EM, as well. I know people in passing, and from my children attending CCD, but I’m not that ‘chummy’ with a lot of the parishioners, so I’m not sure how to go about recruiting? Can you share some ideas with me? Thanks!! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Just witness to others your enthusiasm for the ministry. I’m one as well. I serve one Mass a month, and also take communion to the home bound, it is very rewarding. Dont be afraid to ask people you think would be a good EM. Others will ask you questions as they see your enthusiasm.

Thanks for the advice, michael. I’ve been sharing it with people at work, neigbors, etc…but they don’t go to my parish. Unless it ‘counts’ if I recruit someone for another parish? LOL I mean…that might count, right? :smiley:

ps: I don’t want to risk sounding boastful though…I don’t think I do, but sometimes, I might not say anything because I don’t want to appear like I was ‘chosen’ for something…you know? I think I’ve found a balance, but I try to be careful of that.

[quote=whatevergirl]Thanks for the advice, michael. I’ve been sharing it with people at work, neigbors, etc…but they don’t go to my parish. Unless it ‘counts’ if I recruit someone for another parish? LOL I mean…that might count, right? :smiley:

ps: I don’t want to risk sounding boastful though…I don’t think I do, but sometimes, I might not say anything because I don’t want to appear like I was ‘chosen’ for something…you know? I think I’ve found a balance, but I try to be careful of that.
[/quote]

Sure it counts if you recruited someone to serve in another parish. God Bless!

I think I might have an interested party–cool! thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:

In the days of the Latin Mass, there might be just one or maybe two priests distributing Communion. Hardly anyone remembers the communion rails and cloths. Everyone walked up and knelt down and waited for the priest to come by and give them the Eucharist. They then would get up and leave and someone else from the waiting line would take their place.

In my parish, to speed things up even more, a pew was removed on each side of the church, to create aisles and stations for even more ministers.

Typically more women are attending church than men, and more women are volunteering than men. So, the most likely volunteers are people who match the profile of your current EMs.

The nun who presides over the religious education dept., actually asked me one day after mass to be a EEM. I was pleasantly surprised, as I never initiated dialogue with her about it. But, I’m so thankful she asked me, because it’s a beautiful blessing to be able to serve the Lord in this way. More women are attending mass than men? Hmm…I wonder y that is?? :hmmm:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.