Red Dead Theology?

youtube.com/watch?v=eJEryWi_apI

The following is a clip from the popular cowboy video game "Red Dead Redemption." In this games opening scenes there involves a discussion of religion and its civilizing affects on people. Some of it is clearly intended to be satirical of organized religion, but I wonder if anything that is said in this clip is what we as Catholics believe?

The following is a clip from the popular cowboy video game "Red Dead Redemption." In this games opening scenes there involves a discussion of religion and its civilizing affects on people. Some of it is clearly intended to be satirical of organized religion, but I wonder if anything that is said in this clip is what we as Catholics believe?

[quote="HabemusFrancis, post:2, topic:327933"]

[/quote]

It is a video game, no matter how faithful or not the lines are, take it with a grain of salt. It was not made with the intention of being catechetical, so even if the people involved who put those words into the script did their homework and everything checks out, still, its a video game.

I suppose that is true enough. The thing that really stuck with me, is the part where the old woman says "though the natives lost their land, they gained access to heaven!"

Though it seems callous and chauvanistic, it seems she and people like her may have a point. Even though Cortez/ Pizarro and their ilk did some terrible things, wasn't it better in the long run that they came, rather than allow the natives to continue in their paganism?

Also, how much in danger of hell were/are nonbelievers than people in the Church? Significantly more I would imagine if Holy Mother Church thinks it is important to convert people...

I thought you were agnostic. Did you use to be Catholic or are you considering joining the Church today?

It's just a game, you're reading way too much into it. I just play it so I can pretend to be a cowboy and steal horses and stuff.

There were a lot of martyrs made because the Church sent missionaries to help indigenous people in various lands with not only faith but also with their day to day needs. Sometimes arguing in front of the governments of the conquering countries that they were people and not subhuman. You don't risk your life in a foreign land for "savages", you risk it for children of God. I'm not sure if that covers it or if there was something else you caught that you weren't sure of.

[quote="HabemusFrancis, post:4, topic:327933"]
I suppose that is true enough. The thing that really stuck with me, is the part where the old woman says "though the natives lost their land, they gained access to heaven!"

Though it seems callous and chauvanistic, it seems she and people like her may have a point. Even though Cortez/ Pizarro and their ilk did some terrible things, wasn't it better in the long run that they came, rather than allow the natives to continue in their paganism?

Also, how much in danger of hell were/are nonbelievers than people in the Church? Significantly more I would imagine if Holy Mother Church thinks it is important to convert people...

[/quote]

I found the game rather opportunistic to mock religion whenever it could and wrote a detailed review of that over at this other thread. It does appear to attempt to advance the idea that religious people are generally bigoted or otherwise insane based on the consistency of poor portrayal of the religious in the game.

[quote="HabemusFrancis, post:4, topic:327933"]

[/quote]

I think the evangelizing could have been done in a much more loving fashion. The ends don't always justify the means. I already posted in your other identical thread so I figured I might as well check this one out also.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.