"Red Letter" Christians.

Blessings to all! I was curious to know if any of you regardless of the Christian tradition you follow (Catholic,Protestant,Lutheran,Anglican,Baptist,Methodist,Orthodox,etc) have heard of Red Letter Christians? To be honest I do not know about them or if they actually exist, but from I have heard from others is that Red Letter Christians ONLY abide to the red words (Some Bible translations bold Jesus' Words in red letters) from the NT?

Any thoughts or is it all rumor and gossip?

God bless you all

My brother is a “red letter Christian”…when he was discussing faith with his son and grandchildren…his position was …"everything written in red I can get behind…most everything written in black…is “clap trap” (cleaned up for this site)…it’s a view his three grandchildren, son and daughter in law…and social circle embrace.

I like Tony Campolo and his organization of that name. :thumbsup:

But I generally buy my bibles without the red lettering if I can. I don’t have any trouble telling when the Gospel writers are quoting Jesus and when they’re not. And I pay attention to everything in them, not just what Jesus personally said. It’s all canonical, is it not?

I think it may be a type of King James only folk. That’s the translation famous for red letters.

Wow! So they do exist? Are they considered fundamentalist as oppose to mainline Protestant? Or they belong to many different denominations? Or is it more of an individual thing?

They sound antinomian to me.

I'm a little confused. When we say "Red Letter Christians" are we connecting the KJV Red-Letter Edition? *

However does this mean they follow only the Words of Jesus Christ? For that is what Red-Letter indicates, right? Only the words of Christ are highlighted in Red.

I have seen a recent trend of this with Stephan Scott and his writtings. Though he promotes his work to be used in relation with the Bible to further understand. He also seems very open mined as to denomination or non-denomination, he is simply teaching without promoting a Church with specific beliefs from what I see. But yes he is first seperating the Words of Christ placing them is context/content, such as Religion, Church etc. And first teaching what Christ stated.*

[quote="Nicea325, post:5, topic:284575"]
Wow! So they do exist? Are they considered fundamentalist as oppose to mainline Protestant? Or they belong to many different denominations? Or is it more of an individual thing?

[/quote]

No....they are not "fundamentalist", my brother is quite liberal....even more so than I am.:).....I'm sure there are "red letter Christians" in every Christian tradition.....it is more individual I would think.

Let's not create an "apocryphal" story to now announce that it's another "Protestant abberation". The "red letter Christian" is fairly uncommon from what I've seen and experienced.

[quote="Randal796, post:4, topic:284575"]
I think it may be a type of King James only folk. That's the translation famous for red letters.

[/quote]

It isn't KJV specific. Red letter editions are common in most translations popular with Protestants.

[quote="Nicea325, post:1, topic:284575"]
Blessings to all! I was curious to know if any of you regardless of the Christian tradition you follow (Catholic,Protestant,Lutheran,Anglican,Baptist,Methodist,Orthodox,etc) have heard of Red Letter Christians? To be honest I do not know about them or if they actually exist, but from I have heard from others is that Red Letter Christians ONLY abide to the red words (Some Bible translations bold Jesus' Words in red letters) from the NT?

Any thoughts or is it all rumor and gossip?

God bless you all

[/quote]

Nicea,

This is the first I've heard of "Red Letter" Christians. So, I did a search and found the website: redletterchristians.org. They say, "By calling ourselves Red Letter Christians, we refer to the fact that in many Bibles the words of Jesus are printed in red. What we are asserting, therefore, is that we have committed ourselves first and foremost to doing what Jesus said." (red emphasis is mine :D )

If interested, you can read more at this link: redletterchristians.org/start/.

Peace,
Anna

Red Letter Christians History and Purpose: redletterchristians.org/start/.

They say they hold to the same theological convictions that define Evangelicals; and believe in doctrines from the Apostles’ Creed.

Anna

I do believe the NIV also has red letters as well.

[quote="Publisher, post:8, topic:284575"]
No....they are not "fundamentalist", my brother is quite liberal....even more so than I am.:).....I'm sure there are "red letter Christians" in every Christian tradition.....it is more individual I would think.

Let's not create an "apocryphal" story to now announce that it's another "Protestant abberation". The "red letter Christian" is fairly uncommon from what I've seen and experienced.

[/quote]

Oh by all means, trust me I am not blaming Protestants at all nor do I tie them to it.

Oh wow! Do they do exist? They even have a website for explaining their position for being called red letter Christians. Very interesting! I wonder if they consider other scripture as less important?

“Red Letter Christians” to me seem to be in the same vein “Old Testament Christians” my very conservative Pentacostal aunt claims to be…“we believe in the OT as much as we beleive in the NT…we accept the death penalty…we don’t see war as against the NT or being a Christian”…they were very pro George W. Bush…saw nothing wrong with segregation…and saw nothing wrong with prison sentences for gays…if not the death penalty.

My family is from the deep South…and much of the prejudice found there among some of the fundamentalists are very much alive here in the Northwest among conservative Christians.

“Red Letter” or “OT” Christians tend to be on the fringes of established faith communities.

QUOTE=Publisher;9305504]"Red Letter Christians" to me seem to be in the same vein "Old Testament Christians" my very conservative Pentacostal aunt claims to be....."we believe in the OT as much as we beleive in the NT....we accept the death penalty...we don't see war as against the NT or being a Christian"....they were very pro George W. Bush....saw nothing wrong with segregation...and saw nothing wrong with prison sentences for gays...if not the death penalty.

My family is from the deep South....and much of the prejudice found there among some of the fundamentalists are very much alive here in the Northwest among conservative Christians.

:ehh:

:ehh:

"RL"or “OT” tend to be on the fringes of established faith traditions…not typical believers…either very liberal to conservative for “RL” and very conservative for “OT”…

[quote="Publisher, post:15, topic:284575"]
"Red Letter Christians" to me seem to be in the same vein "Old Testament Christians" my very conservative Pentacostal aunt claims to be....."we believe in the OT as much as we beleive in the NT....we accept the death penalty...we don't see war as against the NT or being a Christian"....they were very pro George W. Bush....saw nothing wrong with segregation...and saw nothing wrong with prison sentences for gays...if not the death penalty.

My family is from the deep South....and much of the prejudice found there among some of the fundamentalists are very much alive here in the Northwest among conservative Christians.

"Red Letter" or "OT" Christians tend to be on the fringes of established faith communities.

[/quote]

Publisher,
I'm not quite sure about any aversion to the Old Testament. I've looked through the website; and it's difficult to tell exactly what they believe.
Tony Campolo** is called The Positive Prophet of Red Letter Christianity: tonycampolo.org/invite.php. However, there is a long list of other contributors to the website.

They do have quite a list of books one can purchase under Recommended Books: redletterchristians.org/books/.

There's a list of Speakers: redletterchristians.org/speakers/.

You can book Tony Campolo to speak: tonycampolo.org/invite.php. (cancellation fees are substantial.)
Bog*: redletterchristians.org/.

Advertising** can be purchased: redletterchristians.org/advertising/.

I can't find a specific statement of faith. Maybe I just missed it.

Anna

[quote="Nicea325, post:14, topic:284575"]
. . .I wonder if they consider other scripture as less important?

[/quote]

I can't tell from the website. I can't find a statement of faith. As I said last post, maybe I just missed it.

Anna

[quote="Publisher, post:15, topic:284575"]
"Red Letter Christians" to me seem to be in the same vein "Old Testament Christians" my very conservative Pentacostal aunt claims to be....."we believe in the OT as much as we beleive in the NT....we accept the death penalty...we don't see war as against the NT or being a Christian"....they were very pro George W. Bush....saw nothing wrong with segregation...and saw nothing wrong with prison sentences for gays...if not the death penalty.

"Red Letter" or "OT" Christians tend to be on the fringes of established faith communities.

[/quote]

Don't worry about the deep south.

The Catholics from all those closed parishes up north didn't just die. We all moved down south, some of us deep.

Were taking care of things one mission Church at a time.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.