Redemption and Resurrection

In another thread, a post was written concerning redemption and resurrection. I have created this thread to continue the discussion where it won’t distract from the original thread. :slight_smile:

I understand the connection of sin to the crucifixion and death of Christ and the resurrection as related to eternal life. But, I don’t understand that you seem to imply that they are separate acts. Redemption is incomplete when considered in this way.

Redemption without resurrection would be meaningless. What need have we of forgiveness from our sin if there was no eternal life. That would make death final and judgment non-existent.

Neither would the resurrection be meaningful without redemption. God would not provide eternal life while leaving us in an irrevocable condition of sin. We believe that salvation is only possible in the state of sanctifying grace. Without Christ’s death on the cross, we could not attain eternal life.

I don’t see these as you described. I see the death and resurrection of Christ as two elements of our redemption.

“The Paschal mystery has two aspects; by his death, Christ liberates us from sin; by his resurrection, he opens for us the way to a new life. This new life is above all justification that reinstates us in God’s grace, ‘so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.’ Justification consists in both victory over the death caused by sin and a new participation in grace.” (Rom 6:4; cf. 4:25; CCC 654)

What am I missing? I could revise my other post to say: "But, like us, they were also redeemed by Christ’s death and resurrection. (Adding the phrase “death and”) Would this satisfy your objection?

Any others have an opinion? :confused:

Wow, you’re taking it to another level, a dangerous one. I never said they are separated. One completes the other. And btw, the actual Redemption started when Mary said YES. Jesus entire life is an act of Redemption. You cannot separate nothing from his life.
Am I right to feel your trying to pick? :confused: Just saying with all may fraternal charity. God bless!

Not at all! I am totally sincere. I know you didn’t say that they were separate, but your comment seemed to imply that and I needed to clarify it. I had never heard of them described in precisely that way or at least I didn’t understand it. Thanks for answering. :slight_smile:

Glad to be of assistance. If there is anything else…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.