Redemption

If spiritual death simply means separation from God, then life is being with God. When Adam disobeyed the commandment all men died in trespass and in sins. Therefore, in order for me to die I would have had to have been God’s at some point.

Can anything be redeemed? Or does the word redeem imply that the redeemer has rights to what is being redeemed. In other words, the redeemer had something, and then lost it temporarily. It’s still his, but until he redeems it, it is not in his possession.

How does this apply to Jesus’ parable of the good seed and the tares, of which Christ demonstrates the two types of grain/seed that make up the whole of the human race?

It would seem to me Christ can only redeem the good seed. They were good only because it was he that sowed them. He cannot redeem the tares because the tares are not his. Neither can they die because they never had a part with God to become separated from Him in the first place, that they should be able to be redeemed.

Therefore, they cannot die because they are already dead.

To die they would have had to have had life at some point. In order to have life, they would have had to have been God’s. But they did not belong to God, they belong to the devil.

Isn’t this the basis for election, that God chose out the good seed to redeem them from their fallen state/condition, of which condition the tares were sowed in, by the wicked one ?

I would take the tares and wheat as a metaphor, rather than saying there are two types of people- the ones God wants and the ones he doesn’t want. Whether we end up being tares or wheat depends upon what we do.

Hopefully, it’s not like a portion of the human race (the tares) are simply soulless drones, or weeds planted by the Devil!

But isn’t that what Christ is saying, there are children of the kingdom and children of the wicked one? It’s not that he doesn’t want them, but he did not sow them, the devil did. Why would he want something that didn’t belong to him or that he didn’t sow?

But it’s not a static concept. The fallen children of Eve become children of God, and this is redemption; if some abandon this way, they can return to the state of grace, and this is redemption too. “Children of devil” is indeed a metaphor - John explains:

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother.

kj2000.scripturetext.com/1_john/3.htm

Jesus redeemed everyone on the cross. But not everyone accepts it.

Just a thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.