Redemptoristine Webcam

It may be that everyone else has discovered this already, but it's pretty cool. The Redemptoristine nuns in Dublin, Ireland have set up a webcam in their chapel, with a list of the Hours of the Divine Office beside it.

As with many webcams, there's a lot of empty time - and during the night, you just get a close-up of their Tabernacle - but as a chance to see inside a convent, it's great. (As I write, there's an elderly nun going around cleaning).

rednuns.com/webcam/

That chapel has no appeal for me. With what I imagine is the altar in the middle of the chairs without kneelers the priest would always have his back to someone . Where was the tabernacle? There was a nun there reading .

Cool - I like webcams too.
Of course living in the U.S. EDT we are 5 hours behind Dublin so the timing issues could be tricky. But thanks for posting this.

Peace
James

[quote="yinekka, post:2, topic:239540"]
That chapel has no appeal for me. With what I imagine is the altar in the middle of the chairs without kneelers the priest would always have his back to someone . Where was the tabernacle? There was a nun there reading .

[/quote]

Guess you'll have to try and peek in when they are doong mass to see how it all works and where the tabernacle is. :D

Peace
James

[/quote]

It is layed out as a chapel for religious should be. It is not a parish church.

The kneelers are in the stand that is in front of the chair.

While I know that chapels in religious communities are not the norm, this one is particularly unattractive. The nuns have beautiful habits though.

While I write this, the nuns are praying the Divine Office.

I do not know that religious chapels are made for beauty, they are made for utility.

I would not mind praying daily in that chapel.

[quote="ByzCath, post:7, topic:239540"]
I do not know that religious chapels are made for beauty, they are made for utility.

[/quote]

The setup would bother me as I have ADD and cannot focus in an environment where I am looking at other people. I was in a class once that had the seats in a square shape on the edge of the walls and it was very annoying. For me, this would not be conducive to prayer. :o

As you probably know (but perhaps other people don’t) the constitutions of many religious institutes - not all, by any means - require that chapels are contrivedly simple and designed with minimal artwork and furnishings. The belief is that there should be as few distractions as possible in such an environment so as to encourage contemplative prayer, and also to remind the individual religious of their poverty. This is distinct from public chapels or parish churches that may be served by these religious, where the more typical embellishments would be present.

I rather like the Redemptorist chapel myself, but as you say each person has to find what helps them in prayer. :gopray2:

Thanks for sharing this link - I love listening to the sisters' Irish brogue.

The chapel is fine, in my view.

God bless,

[quote="ByzCath, post:7, topic:239540"]

[/quote]

This is right. The Redemptoristines that were here in the Niagara Region had a chapel that was very simple. The Blessed Sacrament, the icon of Our Lady and a large crucifix and that was it! Simple benches, simple walls, etc. The stations of the cross were in the adjoining hallway. Nothing to distract you which allowed an atmosphere of great prayer....

Where was the tabernacle?.

[/quote]

The Tabernacle is in the wall behind the central divider (with a cross at the front) on the upper left corner of your screen behind the ambo. There is a tiny adoration space there where a nun can be praying by the Tabernacle without being seen. The Sisters genuflect or bow in that direction when they come in.

God bless you for posting this and this is truly wonderful that The Redemptoristine nuns in Dublin, Ireland are sharing this as well.

Much thanks for the link:thumbsup: . I have shared it with several others not on caf. I have had the privilege to watch them during loh and mass and have found it be spiritually rewarding. This has been a great gift.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.