Redo confession

how do you redo a confession? it i wanted to reconfess 2 days from now and assuming i have nothing new to confess will i still say its been a month since my last confession or say its been 2 days which is the truth but seeing that i have a big list its kind of hard to believe and i dont want to lie about it but i dont want to tell the guy im redoing a previous confession from 2 days ago either.

[quote="Niji, post:1, topic:289929"]
how do you redo a confession? it i wanted to reconfess 2 days from now and assuming i have nothing new to confess will i still say its been a month since my last confession or say its been 2 days which is the truth but seeing that i have a big list its kind of hard to believe and i dont want to lie about it but i dont want to tell the guy im redoing a previous confession from 2 days ago either.

[/quote]

Never lie to a priest in confession!

[quote="Joan_M, post:2, topic:289929"]
Never lie to a priest in confession!

[/quote]

Yes, doing so will invalidate your confession and add one more mortal sin to your list.

Just relax, humble yourself, and tell the entire truth. You are there to receive Christ's forgiveness and grace, not make it look like you only sin every so often. As long as you come back to God and receive absolution, why dwell on anything else?

God bless you!

[quote="Niji, post:1, topic:289929"]

[/quote]

Why are you reconfessing sins that were already absolved, unless you've been fudging on your mortal sins in Confession? We do not "redo" a Confession. Venial sins are forgiven in Confession even if not confessed.

If you have been holding out and not confessing a mortal sin, you must admit to that and confess it, but that is not a "redo". That is a first time confession of a certain sin, and once it is absolved, it is absolved.

And never lie to a priest.

the reason i want to is becuase he never really gave me a chance to say the act of contrition. i wasnt holding anything back intentionally. so i feel it wasnt right. he pulled a fast one too with the confession room beig locked and him not having a key i had to do it face to face. totally not prepared for that.

[quote="Niji, post:5, topic:289929"]
the reason i want to is becuase he never really gave me a chance to say the act of contrition. i wasnt holding anything back intentionally. so i feel it wasnt right. he pulled a fast one too with the confession room beig locked and him not having a key i had to do it face to face. totally not prepared for that.

[/quote]

If you confessed all your mortal sins and received absolution from the confessor, you have indeed been forgiven by God. There's no need to worry. Release your guilt and rejoice in God's mercy! :)

May God continue to bless you!

[/quote]

You need to educate yourself from trustworthy books about how the sacrament works. A priest does not have to tell you to say the AOC, and even if he tells you he can still talk over you in giving absolution while you are in the middle of saying it. Good books will explain why.

They will also explain how scrupulosity messes everything up.

This I am saying to you and everyone: If you were taken off guard by being forced to confess face-to-face, then that is a sign you could use a bit more self-catechesis! Because if you had a firm, conscious grasp of what was essential, you could have confessed wearing a clown suit hanging upside down from a trapeze without being flustered! Confidence comes from knowing what's essential :thumbsup:

[quote="Rainaldo, post:7, topic:289929"]
and even if he tells you he can still talk over you in giving absolution while you are in the middle of saying it.

[/quote]

^this is exactly what he did after he said "say the AOC" he then immediaty went into saying some prayer so i wasnt sure what was going on and didnt want to talk over him so I kept silent.

im reading "the fullfilment of all desires" atm any good books to recommend about confession or anything?

[quote="Niji, post:8, topic:289929"]
^this is exactly what he did after he said "say the AOC" he then immediaty went into saying some prayer so i wasnt sure what was going on and didnt want to talk over him so I kept silent.

im reading "the fullfilment of all desires" atm any good books to recommend about confession or anything?

[/quote]

That is the way it was traditionally done prior to the new Rite of Penance, you said your act of contrition and he said the absolution in Latin at the same time. You are absolved, don't worry. If you are so concerned say an act of contrition now,

[/quote]

It is not necessary to say the Act of Contrition in the Confessional, some priests prefer it be said later, and the fact that you went face to face unexpectedly has nothing to do with the absolution of your sins. You were absolved, and if you can't accept that, then you need to do some serious thinking about why you cannot trust the Lord or what the Church says in the matter. It is not how you feel that is important, it is what the Church teaches, you were absolved, your sins were forgiven.

[quote="Joannm, post:9, topic:289929"]
That is the way it was traditionally done prior to the new Rite of Penance, you said your act of contrition and he said the absolution in Latin at the same time. You are absolved, don't worry. If you are so concerned say an act of contrition now,

[/quote]

Once the priest hears the words, "because I dread the loss of heaven and fear the pains of hell" he has sufficient grounds to absolve someone and will start the prayer of absolution. I'm not overly familiar with the new form of penance and the act of contrition, as I've never had a priest ask me to say one, but in the old form of penance, if the priest gets to the "Deinde ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis, in nomine Patris, et Filii, + et Spiritus Sancti. Amen." part before you finish (never happens with me), he will wait until you finish before pronouncing the actual words of absolution.

Being Contrite is needful (which does not need to involve feelings). But the fact that an “act of contrition” was not made --does NOT render the sacrament invalid.

You would not repeat the confession on such grounds.

Plus, there's nothing to prevent a penitent from saying the Act outside of the confessional (later), or using similar words to express that same sorrow. I understand that some priests do direct the penitent to say it, but right afterward. Personally, I prefer to say it during confession, for a variety of reasons. (Saying it aloud, for one thing, is important to me for that sense of completion.) But absolution is not dependent on that.

It's superfluous to be absolved twice. The only reason you would need a repeat in two days would be:

~ you deliberately omitted a serious sin when confessing. (Committed sacrilege)
or
~ you committed another (different) serious sin within those 2 days after your confession.

Otherwise all of your sins have been forgiven, including any you forgot to mention.

Not to worry. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.