Referencing Revelation

The premise of this thread is very simple - we'll just reference quotations and possible allusions in the book of Revelation to other books and other stuff, or at least passages which happen to say the same thing. I am mostly going here by the marginal apparatus in Nestle-Aland's Novum Testamentum Graece, 27th edition (NA27). Here goes:

Chapter 01

1:1a "The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon come to pass." (Ἀποκάλυψις Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ ἣν ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ ὁ θεὸς δεῖξαι τοῖς δούλοις αὐτοῦ ἃ δεῖ γενέσθαι ἐν τάχει.)

(Amos 3:7) For the Lord God does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets.

(Daniel 2:28-47 Theodotion) “But there is a God in heaven revealing mysteries, and He has made known to king Nabuchodonosor what things must come to pass in the last days (ἃ δεῖ γενέσθαι ἐπ' ἐσχάτων τῶν ἡμερῶν).” ...] And the king answered and said to Daniel, “Of a truth your God is a God of gods and Lord of kings who reveals mysteries (καὶ ἀποκαλύπτων μυστήρια); for you have been able to reveal this mystery (ἀποκαλύψαι τὸ μυστήριον τοῦτο).”

1:1b-2 "And he made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all that he saw." (καὶ ἐσήμανεν ἀποστείλας διὰ τοῦ ἀγγέλου αὐτοῦ τῷ δούλῷ αὐτοῦ Ἰωάννῃ, ὃς ἐμαρτύρησεν τὸν λόγον τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ τὴν μαρτυρίαν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ ὅσα εἶδεν.)

(1 John 1:1-4) That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life—the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us—that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.

1:3 "Blessed is he who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near." (μακάριος ὁ ἀναγινώσκων καὶ οἱ ἀκούοντες τοὺς λόγους τῆς προφητείας καὶ τηροῦντες τὰ ἐν αὐτῇ γεγραμμένα, ὁ γὰρ καιρὸς ἐγγύς.)

(Psalm 1:1-2) Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night. (Wisdom mode)

(Daniel 12:12-13) Blessed is he who waits and arrives at the 1,335 days. But go your way till the end. And you shall rest and shall stand in your allotted place at the end of the days. (Apocalyptic mode)

1:4 "John to the seven churches that are in Asia: grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is coming, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne," (Ἰωάννης ταῖς ἑπτὰ ἐκκλησίαις ταῖς ἐν τῇ Ἀσίᾳ· χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη ἀπὸ ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος καὶ ἀπὸ τῶν ἑπτὰ πνεύματων ἃ ἐνώπιον τοῦ θρόνου αὐτοῦ)

(Exodus 3:13-14 LXX) And Moyses said to God, “Look, I shall come to the sons of Israel and shall say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you’; they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ What shall I say to them?” And God said to Moyses, “I am The One Who Is.” (ὁ ὢν) And he said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘The One Who Is has sent me to you’.”

(Isaiah 41:4 LXX) Who has wrought and done these things?
The one calling her from the beginning of generations
has called her.
I, God, am first,
and for the things that are coming, I am.

(Plutarch, De Iside et Osiride, 9) Moreover, the temple of Minerva which is at Sais (whom they look upon as the same with Isis) had upon it this inscription: I am whatever was, or is, or will be; and my veil no mortal ever took up.

(Pausanias, *Description of Greece *10.12.10) The Peleiades are said to have been born still earlier than Phemonoe, and to have been the first women to chant these verses:—“Zeus was, Zeus is, Zeus shall be; O mighty Zeus. Earth sends up the harvest, therefore sing the praise of earth as Mother.”

(Continued)

(Isaiah 11:2) And the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him,
the Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and might,
the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.

(Tobit 12:11-15 (Greek II)) “I will not conceal any word from you. I have indeed said, ‘It is good to conceal the secret of a king but to reveal gloriously the works of God’. And now when you and your daughter-in-law Sarra prayed, I brought the memorial of your prayer before the Holy One, and when you would bury the dead, I was likewise present with you. And when you did not hesitate to get up and leave your dinner to go out and bury the dead, the good deed was not hidden from me, but I was with you. So now God sent me to heal you and your daughter-in-law Sarra. I am Raphael, one of the seven holy angels who present the prayers of the holy ones and enter before the glory of the Holy One.”

(Tobit 12:11-15 (Greek I)) “I shall declare the whole truth to you, and I will not conceal any word from you. Already I declared to you and said, ‘It is good to conceal the secret of a king, but to reveal gloriously the works of God’. So now when you and Sarra prayed, I brought the memorial of your prayer before the glory of the Lord and did likewise when you would bury the dead. And when you did not hesitate to get up and leave your dinner and when you went and buried the dead, then I was sent to you to test you. And at the same time God sent me to heal you and Sarra your daughter-in-law. I am Raphael, one of the seven angels who approach and enter before the glory of the Lord.”

(1 Enoch 20) And these are the names of the holy angels who watch. Uriel, one of the holy angels, who is over the world and over Tartarus. Raphael, one of the holy angels, who is over the spirits of men. Raguel, one of the holy angels who takes vengeance on the world of the luminaries. Michael, one of the holy angels, to wit, he that is set over the best part of mankind [and]] over chaos. Saraqâêl, one of the holy angels, who is set over the spirits, who sin in the spirit. Gabriel, one of the holy angels, who is over Paradise and the serpents and the Cherubim. Remiel, one of the holy angels, whom God set over those who rise.

(2 Enoch 19:1-3) And thence those men took me and bore me up on to the sixth heaven, and there I saw seven bands of angels, very bright and very glorious, and their faces shining more than the sun's shining, glistening, and there is no difference in their faces, or behaviour, or manner of dress; and these make the orders, and learn the goings of the stars, and the alteration of the moon, or revolution of the sun, and the good government of the world. And when they see evildoing they make commandments and instruction, and sweet and loud singing, and all (songs) of praise. These are the archangels who are above angels, measure all life in heaven and on earth, and the angels who are (appointed) over seasons and years, the angels who are over rivers and sea, and who are over the fruits of the earth, and the angels who are over every grass, giving food to all, to every living thing, and the angels who write all the souls of men, and all their deeds, and their lives before the Lord's face; in their midst are six Phoenixes and six Cherubim and six six-winged ones continually with one voice singing one voice, and it is not possible to describe their singing, and they rejoice before the Lord at his footstool.

(Songs of the Sabbath Sacrifice (4Q403, I, I, 1-29 (4Q404-5) = Masada Fragment))

[Psalm of exaltation (uttered) by the tongue] of the third of the sovereign Princes, an exaltation … He shall exalt the God of the angels on high seven times with seven wonderful exaltations.
Psalm of praise (uttered) by the tongue of the four[th] to the Mighty One above all the [gods], seven wonderful mighty deeds. He shall praise the God of mighty deeds seven times with seven words of [marvelous] prais[e].
Psalm of thanksgiving (uttered) by the tongue of the fifth to the [K]in[g] of glory with its seven wonderful thanksgivings. He shall thank the God of glory se[ven times with se]v[en wor]ds of wonderful thanksgivings.
Psalm of exultation (uttered) by the tongue of the sixth to [the] God of goodness with its seven [wonderful] exultations.
Psalm of [singing (uttered) by the t]ongue of the seventh of the [sovereign] Prin[ces], a powerful song [to the Go]d of ho[lines] with its se[ven] marvelous [songs]. He shall sing [to] the Kin[g of ho]liness seven times with [seven w]ords of [wonderful] so[ngs; sev]en psa[lms (singing) his blessings; sev]en [psalm]s of magnification of [his righteousness; seven psalms] of exaltation of [his] kingshi[p; seven] psalms of [praises of his glory; sev]en p[salms of thanksgivings for his marvelous deeds]; [seven psalms of ex]ul[tation of] his power; seven [psalms singi]ng his holiness; … seven times with seven wonderful words, words of exaltation of the Sovereign Princes. In [the name of his holiness] all the [sovereign] Princes [shall bless together] the God of the divine beings [in] all their sevenfold t[estimonies]. They shall bless those destined for righteousness and all the blessed … the eter[na]ll[y ble]ssed for them.
Blessed be [the] Lo[r]d, the Kin[g of] all, who is above all blessing and pr[aise. He shall bless all the holy] who bless [him and proclaim him righ]te[ous] in the name of his glory. [And he shall b]less all who are blessed for ever.

1:5a "and from Jesus Christ, the faithful, the testifier, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth," (καὶ ἀπὸ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, ὁ μάρτυς, ὁ πίστος, ὁ πρωτότοκος τῶν νεκρῶν καὶ ὁ ἄρχων τῶν βασιλέων τῆς γῆς.)

(Psalm 89 (88):19-29, 35-37) Of old you spoke in a vision to your godly one, and said:
“I have granted help to one who is mighty;
I have exalted one chosen from the people.
I have found David, my servant;
with my holy oil I have anointed him,
so that my hand shall be established with him;
my arm also shall strengthen him.
The enemy shall not outwit him;
the wicked shall not humble him.
I will crush his foes before him
and strike down those who hate him.
My faithfulness and my steadfast love shall be with him,
and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
I will set his hand on the sea
and his right hand on the rivers.
He shall cry to me, ‘You are my Father,
my God, and the Rock of my salvation.’
And I will make him the firstborn,
the highest of the kings of the earth.

My steadfast love I will keep for him forever,
and my covenant will stand firm for him.
I will establish his offspring forever
and his throne as the days of the heavens.
...] Once for all I have sworn by my holiness;
I will not lie to David.
His offspring shall endure forever,
his throne as long as the sun before me.
Like the moon it shall be established forever,
a faithful witness in the skies.
Selah

(Isaiah 55:3-4) Incline your ear, and come to me;
hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
my steadfast, sure love for David.
Behold, I made him a witness to the peoples,
a leader and commander for the peoples.

(Colossians 1:15-20) He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

1:5b-6 "who loves us and freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father - to him be the glory and the might to the ages [of the ages], Amen."

(Exodus 19:3b-6) The Lord called to [Moses] out of the mountain, saying, “Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the people of Israel: You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine; and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel.”

(Isaiah 61:5-6) Strangers shall stand and tend your flocks;
foreigners shall be your plowmen and vinedressers;
but you shall be called the priests of the Lord;
they shall speak of you as the ministers of our God;
you shall eat the wealth of the nations,
and in their glory you shall boast.

(1 John 1:5-7) This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

(1 Peter 2:4-10) As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in Scripture:

“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone,
a cornerstone chosen and precious,
and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe,

“The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,”

and

“A stone of stumbling,
and a rock of offense.”

They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

1:7 Behold, he is coming **with the clouds,**
and every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him,
and all tribes of the earth will mourn over him.
Yes, Amen.

(Ἰδοὺ ἔρχεται μετὰ τῶν νεφελῶν,
καὶ *ὄψεται** αὐτὸν* πᾶς ὀφθαλμὸς
καὶ οἵτινες αὐτὸν ἐξεκέντησαν,
καὶ κόψονται ἐπ᾽ αὐτὸν πᾶσαι αἱ φυλαὶ τῆς γῆς.
ναί, ἀμήν.)

(Daniel 7:13-14) “I saw in the night visions,
and behold, with the clouds of heaven
there came one like a son of man,
and he came to the Ancient of Days
and was presented before him.
And to him was given dominion
and glory and a kingdom,
that all peoples, nations, and languages
should serve him;
his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
which shall not pass away,
and his kingdom one
that shall not be destroyed.”

(Matthew 24:29-31) “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.”

(Zechariah 12:10; cf. Aquila and Theodotion) “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.” (Aquila: "...with the one whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn him" (...σὺν ᾧ ἐξεκέντησαν καὶ κόψονται αὐτὸν); Theodotion: "And they shall look to me, [to] whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn him" (καὶ ἐπιβλέψονται πρός με εἰς] ὃν ἐξεκέντησαν καὶ κόψονται αὐτὸν); Septuagint: "And they shall look to me because they have danced [in mockery], and they shall mourn over him" (καὶ ἐπιβλέψονται πρός με ἀνθ᾽ ὧν κατωρχήσαντο καὶ κόψονται ἐπ᾽ αὐτὸν); cf. John 19:37 "They will see him whom they have pierced" (ὄψονται εἰς ὃν ἐξεκέντησαν))

(Genesis 12:3; 28:14) “And I will bless those who bless you, and those who curse you I will curse, and in you all the tribes of the earth (πᾶσαι αἱ φυλαὶ τῆς γῆς) will be blessed.” (…) “And your offspring shall be like the sand of the earth, and it shall widen out to the sea and to the southwest and to the north and to the east, and all the tribes of the earth (πᾶσαι αἱ φυλαὶ τῆς γῆς) shall be blessed in you and in your offspring.”

1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Ἐγώ εἰμι τὸ ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ὦ, λέγει κύριος ὁ θεός, ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος, ὁ παντοκράτωρ.)

(2 Samuel 5:10 LXX) And Dauid would go, going and increasing, and the Lord Almighty (κύριος παντοκράτωρ, Hebrew ’Ĕlōhê ṣəḇā’wōṯ "God of hosts") was with him.

(Jeremiah 5:14 LXX) Therefore this is what** the Lord Almighty** (κύριος παντοκράτωρ, ’Ĕlōhê ṣəḇā’wōṯ) says:
Because you spoke this utterance,
behold, I have given my words in your mouth as a fire
and this people as wood, and it shall devour them.

(Hosea 12:2-6 LXX) And the Lord has a judgment against Ioudas,
to punish Iakob according to his ways,
and he will repay him according to his deeds.
In the womb he kicked his brother with the heel
and in his struggles prevailed against God.
And he prevailed with an angel and predominated.
They wept and implored me;
they found me in the house of On,
and there a word was spoken to him.
But the Lord God the Almighty (κύριος ὁ θεὸς ὁ παντοκράτωρ, ’Ĕlōhê haṣ-ṣəḇā’wōṯ "God of the hosts") shall be his memorial.

(Amos 3:13 LXX) Hear, and testify to the house of Iakob, says the Lord God the Almighty. (ἀκούσατε καὶ ἐπιμαρτύρασθε τῷ οἴκῳ ᾿Ιακώβ, λέγει κύριος ὁ θεός ὁ παντοκράτωρ; Yhwh ’Ĕlōhê haṣ-ṣəḇā’wōṯ "Yhwh God of the hosts")

(Amos 4:13 LXX) For behold, I am the one who makes the thunder strong and creates a wind
and announces his anointed to humans,
makes dawn and mist and treads on the heights of the earth—
the Lord God the Almighty is his name! (κύριος ὁ θεὸς ὁ παντοκράτωρ ὄνομα αὐτῷ; Yhwh ’Ĕlōhê-ṣəḇā’wōṯ "Yhwh God of hosts")

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.