Referring to religious by their title after death?

Hello, all. :)

At my fiance's and my wedding in June, we are including our deceased family members in the petition for those who have died (which seems to be pretty standard at weddings). My great aunt passed away in December, and she was a religious sister. Does anyone know if religious sisters, priests, etc., are referred to by their title (Sister Mary, Father Andrew) after they have died? Or should they be referred to simply by their name (Mary, Andrew)? The trend, at least among canonized saints, seems to be to drop the title, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know for absolute sure, but my great-aunt was a religious sister and the holy card from her funeral had her name as Sr. __________, O.Carm

I would think that using their title would be acceptable.

Mr Smith is still Mr Smith after he dies.

President X is still President X

So on, and so on.

I think it would be a great honor to use their title since it is something they devoted much (if not most) of their lives.

Religious are still referred the same way following their death.

If the person later considered for the "steps" of canonization, only thenafter they would drop their title be referred to as Servant of God, Vernerable, Blessed and then finally Saint.

[quote="mfrances, post:4, topic:280215"]
Religious are still referred the same way following their death.

If the person later considered for the "steps" of canonization, only thenafter they would drop their title be referred to as Servant of God, Vernerable, Blessed and then finally Saint.

[/quote]

This makes sense.

Thank you to all for your feedback/input/advice/knowledge!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.