Reform of the Reform?

Now I am greatly excited that there is a call from the Holy Father for a reform of the reform of the liturgy, but what does that mean? How would a reform be implemented? At some point will a new GIRM need to be instituted?

[quote="codefro, post:1, topic:295877"]
Now I am greatly excited that there is a call from the Holy Father for a reform of the reform of the liturgy, but what does that mean? How would a reform be implemented? At some point will a new GIRM need to be instituted?

[/quote]

There has already been a new version of the Missal and the GIRM issued in recent years. That is the "reform of the reform" the Holy Father speaks about. It's going on right now.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:2, topic:295877"]
There has already been a new version of the Missal and the GIRM issued in recent years. That is the "reform of the reform" the Holy Father speaks about. It's going on right now.

[/quote]

So it basically happened already?

[quote="codefro, post:3, topic:295877"]

[/quote]

I believe there are ongoing pieces of it, but the new wording at Mass in English-speaking countries was instituted during Advent of last year. Most of this wording tries to make itself true to the original Latin, for example:

Priest: The Lord be with you.
Response: And with your spirit (from the Latin 'Et cum spiritu tuo')

Right, I was unsure about it. With B XVI allowing for a wider use of the EF Mass I know he has symptathies with it. So I was wondering if in the future the Mass will be revised even more by implementing aspects of the EF into the OF into a new Mass.

[quote="codefro, post:5, topic:295877"]
Right, I was unsure about it. With B XVI allowing for a wider use of the EF Mass I know he has symptathies with it. So I was wondering if in the future the Mass will be revised even more by implementing aspects of the EF into the OF into a new Mass.

[/quote]

I don't believe that there will be further revisions, at least that are planned/conceived, in the foreseeable future. It is important to note, however, that this work began long before Pope Benedict XVI ascended to the Papacy - it was only finished and implemented under him, but the initiative was undertaken during the reign of Blessed Pope John Paul II.

Allowing for wider use of the EF has nothing to do with the translations. From my understanding, only in the English translation of the GIRM were these matters taken, as the revisions stemming from VC2 were most 'modernized' in the English. This is merely to step back in line with the rest of the translations once the GIRM allowed for the vernacular.

While it's a little dated, this article from NLM seems to fit this thread. A search at NLM will bring up a lot more hits.

oh ok. Thank you. :slight_smile:

[quote="codefro, post:3, topic:295877"]

[/quote]

Well, yes and no. Reform isn't only about revising texts. That's part of it, but the more important piece comes in actually living it out. We are always in need of personal reformation.

Read ‘Spirit of the liturgy’ written by Ratzinger. That’s the word from the horse’s mouth, so to speak. I think you’ll find it is different from what is being presented here.

Zona exterior del Balneario.

La zona exterior le permitirá disfrutar bajo el sol de las instalaciones al aire libre. Piscina con jets, chorros cervicales, solarium natural ,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.