Reformed Baptist

What is a Reformed Baptist? I never heard of them until recently and here on CAF.

I live in the southwest in Texas on the New Mexico border, and most Baptists in this area are Southern Baptist. There are also some independent fundamental Baptists, and some Free Will Baptists. My grandmother originally Free Will Baptist which as I understand are Arminians. There are no Reformed Baptists anywhere near.

Southern Baptists seem to be a combination of Arminian and Calvinism.

Are Reformed Baptists Calvinists? Do they belive in predestination and forordination?

Are they like Presbetyians withoutout infant baptism?

Where are their churches located?

I've noticed some Reformed Baptists here especially Lincoln, but know next to nothing about them.

Could someone in the know explain a little about Reformed Baptists?

[quote="andrewstx, post:1, topic:281962"]
What is a Reformed Baptist? I never heard of them until recently and here on CAF.

I live in the southwest in Texas on the New Mexico border, and most Baptists in this area are Southern Baptist. There are also some independent fundamental Baptists, and some Free Will Baptists. My grandmother originally Free Will Baptist which as I understand are Arminians. There are no Reformed Baptists anywhere near.

Are Reformed Baptists Calvinists? Do they belive in predestination and forordination?

I've noticed some Reformed Baptists here especially Lincoln, but know next to nothing about them.

[/quote]

Check out the 1689 London Baptist confession of faith here: vor.org/truth/1689/1689bc00.html

One of the more famous historic confessions of Reformed Baptists.

Lincs.

[quote="andrewstx, post:1, topic:281962"]

[/quote]

I was a former Reformed Baptist, andrew. Yeah, the best thing is to read the London Confession that Lincs posted.

In short, they are Presbyterians who both deny infant baptism and have a different ecclesiology. Reformed Baptist churches are independent, elder-led congregations. Presbyterians have regional and national presbyteries. Reformed Baptists don't. Otherwise, yes, they are Calvinistic, covenant theology oriented (though not all), and reformed on the sacraments.

[quote="IggyAntiochus, post:3, topic:281962"]
I was a former Reformed Baptist, andrew. Yeah, the best thing is to read the London Confession that Lincs posted.

In short, they are Presbyterians who both deny infant baptism and have a different ecclesiology. Reformed Baptist churches are independent, elder-led congregations. Presbyterians have regional and national presbyteries. Reformed Baptists don't. Otherwise, yes, they are Calvinistic, covenant theology oriented (though not all), and reformed on the sacraments.

[/quote]

I have not read the confession yet, it is a lengthy document that will take some time to read and understand.

I sang in the FPC choir in Odessa for a time, their church put me more in mind of an Episcopal church with its elevated altar table with cross and candles, and pulpit on the side than any Baptist church.

I never heard of TULIP or predistination from the pulpit or in suinday school. Their thinking on the sacrament of the altar was more Zwinglian that Calvinistic. I had studied Calvin.

Ultimately I tired of the worship and went back to a liturgical church.

Do Reformed Baptists speak of sacraments, or ordinances?

Thier is a RB congregation in El Paso?

The only churches I have worshipped at there are St George Orthodox and St Albans Episcopal.

[quote="andrewstx, post:4, topic:281962"]
I have not read the confession yet, it is a lengthy document that will take some time to read and understand.

[/quote]

It's pretty much a word for word copy of the Westminster Confession of Faith, with the sections on Baptism and the Church reworded.

I sang in the FPC choir in Odessa for a time, their church put me more in mind of an Episcopal church with its elevated altar table with cross and candles, and pulpit on the side than any Baptist church.

I never heard of TULIP or predistination from the pulpit or in suinday school. Their thinking on the sacrament of the altar was more Zwinglian that Calvinistic. I had studied Calvin.

Ultimately I tired of the worship and went back to a liturgical church.

Presbyterian churches are more apt to be liturgical than a Reformed Baptist church. Some Presby churches are very high church, relatively speaking. Just depends on the congregation and how obsessed they are about the regulative principle. Reformed Baptists tend to be. Their statement in the London Confession on communion is Calvinistic, but yes, there is a Zwinglian strain in there. Depends on the church and how closely they follow the Confession. Some Reformed Baptists don't follow the London Confession. Those tend to be more Zwinglian.

Do Reformed Baptists speak of sacraments, or ordinances?

Ordinances.

Thier is a RB congregation in El Paso?

Nope. There is one in New Mexico, in Santa Teresa, never been there though. I've been in El Paso since 2010, because it's where the Army stationed me. I was already Lutheran at that point. I am a CA native, and attended an RB church there.

The only churches I have worshipped at there are St George Orthodox and St Albans Episcopal.

Only one I've been to here is my parish, Grace Lutheran, over on the northeast side of town. I was going to go to St. George's Sunday but missed it. Definitely this week though!

Good old Ft. Bliss, my EP friends the husband was former
Army, and horse people. I call them horsey snobs envious of their old money.

They still went there at times for the horsey-calvary connection, they had more than 20! horses on their suburban west El Paso place, and it was they who showed me St Albans.

I understand that many Episcopalians in the Diocese of the Rio Grande have gotten tired of the liberal nature of TEC and have gone under south american bishops, have many in EP followed that trend...if you are aware?

[quote="andrewstx, post:6, topic:281962"]
Good old Ft. Bliss, my EP friends the husband was former
Army, and horse people. I call them horsey snobs envious of their old money.

They still went there at times for the horsey-calvary connection, they had more than 20! horses on their suburban west El Paso place, and it was they who showed me St Albans.

I understand that many Episcopalians in the Diocese of the Rio Grande have gotten tired of the liberal nature of TEC and have gone under south american bishops, have many in EP followed that trend...if you are aware?

[/quote]

In El Paso, two TEC churches have moved over to the ACNA. St. Clements and St. Francis. St. Patrick in Las Cruces and St. Augustine in Deming NM have. Those are the only ones in Rio Grande I am aware of. I am not sure how far that diocese extends.

Rio Grande covers the whole state of NM and Texas west of the Pecos, prob the largest diocese in TEC.

I noticed that St Marys Lovington and St Christophers Hobbs are no longer on the diocesan web site.

I was born in Hobbs.

[quote="andrewstx, post:8, topic:281962"]
Rio Grande covers the whole state of NM and Texas west of the Pecos, prob the largest diocese in TEC.

I noticed that St Marys Lovington and St Christophers Hobbs are no longer on the diocesan web site.

I was born in Hobbs.

[/quote]

Neither are listed on the ACNA website. Something else may have happened to them? Closed or gone independent? The ACNA lists 14 parishes in New Mexico. In Hobbs, it lists Holy Trinity.

I dug around on the Rio Grande website and found they are still in TEC. When I was young St Christophers went pentecostal, stripped the church and I went to St marys Lovington, now they share to same preist with Hobbs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.