Reforming the Reform

I have heard that Pope Benedict XVI has made a comment that there needs to be a “Reform of the Reform”. Could someone elaborate on what he means if he did make such a comment. Does he intend to correct some of the vague language in translations of the Roman Missal that have lead to people making up their own “innovations” that more often that not have lead to abuse?

As Cardinal, he made the statement in regard to flawed implementations of Vatican II, in his book “An Introduction to the Spirit of the Liturgy.” I believe he also made a comment about the “dead burying the dead and calling it reform.”

Really you will have to read the whole of his book Spirit of the Liturgy to fully understand the mind of the Holy Father when it comes to liturgy. If his mind becomes praxis we should see much change before long in the liturgy.

[quote=starrs0]I have heard that Pope Benedict XVI has made a comment that there needs to be a “Reform of the Reform”. Could someone elaborate on what he means if he did make such a comment. Does he intend to correct some of the vague language in translations of the Roman Missal that have lead to people making up their own “innovations” that more often that not have lead to abuse?

[/quote]

I don’t know that anything has come out in writing yet, but I have noticed a definite change in the way the Mass is celebrated at the Parish Church I attend during the week, Pauline mass. The Priests have instructed the congregation to strike their breasts at the words through my fault. the Priests bow their heads at the Mention of Jesus Christ, God, the Holy Spirit and the Blessed Mother. The congregation was instructed to bow during the Creed. The Priests, maybe just a Lenten thing, are also offering confessions throughout the week instead of only on Saturdays as in the past.

Nothing really spectacular, but you should have seen the shocked expressions from some of the people that attend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.