Refugees crossing into Canada from US on foot despite freezing temperatures

Refugees crossing into Canada from US on foot despite freezing temperatures

Uncertainty caused by Trump’s policies has pushed asylum seekers to take long, risky routes that in one case cost two Ghanaian men several fingers to frostbite

A growing number of asylum seekers are braving freezing cold temperatures to walk into Canada from the US, driven by fears of what Donald Trump’s presidency will mean for refugees, advocates say.

Last week, amid the chaos and uncertainty triggered by Trump’s travel ban, one agency dedicated to resettling refugees and immigrants opened an unprecedented 10 refugee claims in one day. Eight of the claimants had walked into Canada in order to avoid detection by border officials.

On Tuesday, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said another 22 people had walked across the border and into Canada over the weekend; 19 of them on Saturday and three on Sunday.

“They’re not crossing at the actual point where there’s an immigration and customs offices,” said Rita Chahal of the Manitoba Interfaith Immigration Council. “They’re walking through prairie fields with lots and lots of deep snow. In Europe we’re seeing people in boats; now just imagine a prairie flatland and snow for miles and miles.”

So if Muslim gays are sent back or deported to Islamic countries where they will be executed, that’s OK with the majority of you are here?

After Trudeau said they had room for all, they may want to put up their own border fence, when the flood starts coming.

A pro-life issue!!

You are absolutely correct.(start sarcasm) However the only issue that matters is abortion and since trump is “pro life” we have to vote for him and obey his every command. (end sarcasm)

“Eight of the claimants had walked into Canada in order to avoid detection by border officials.”

Translation: we want the benefits that you have to give but we don’t respect or want to obey your laws.

Not necessarily; they needed to avoid our customs agents at the crossing, else the journey would be in vain.

I imagine that to be admitted as refugees, they presented themselves to authorities in Canada.

ICXC NIKA

So if Muslim gays are sent back or deported to Islamic countries where they will be executed, that’s OK with the majority of you are here?

Why is gay assumed to be a protected category? Many face persecution in their homelands, without reference to sexuality.

ICXC NIKA

The voting is over, he won, and our duty is now to follow him as citizens.

I’d say the same if HRC had earned the AF1 keys.

ICXC NIKA

I agree, I was being sarcastic

Where did the gay part come from? Can’t anything be about something besides gay rights?

Apparently, not in the Age of Trump.

I guess not. Trudeau would welcome them. He has room for all.

What about those who wanted to cross to Canada should Trump won? Are they these illegals only or US citizens who voted against Trump?

If they’re found to be terrorist as the mandate intends, YES! And that would be for your own safety and the safety of other Muslims also, so you can express your opinion and not be killed legally.

I think you’re right. Just 2 years ago, it would have been unfathomable that the news could be more frustrating. Yet, here we are.

Nearly every single person I know of who voted for Trump on the issue of abortion did so along the lesser evil line and because we had an open Supreme Court.

I can just see my inbox now if Clinton had won…“I’m surprised, I can’t believe she did that, I never though they’d do that!”

And here the left has been telling me for over a decade that we have to respect other cultures no matter what.

If it’s not okay with me, wouldn’t that make me a racist and intolerant of other cultures.

After all, how I dare try to force my values of compassion for GLBTQ persons and all people on someone who is different.

They will likely be deported. Canada is very strict about illegal immigrants.

The media hysteria has been dangerous, driving these vulnerable people into dangerous conditions. Those crossing into the Prairies just this week had to deal with heavy snow and temperatures of around -20 Celsius (-4 F) during the day and -30 (-22 F) at night. Uncovered flesh freezes at around -25C. Factoring in windchill it can feel up to 10 C colder than the actual temperature.

Justin Trudeau won’t allow it and Canada isn’t that strict. He likes the attention of being a saint. I’d like to believe it’s out of compassion.

How did the president enter into this situation? The entire mess is a left-wing media concoction. Does the media answer for causing even more hysteria? Do they answer for the injuries they indirectly cause by printing such pulp fiction? Do they answer for anything? And why isn’t the article about frostbite injuries to Sean Penn, Madonna, Lady Whoever, Meryl Streep, Kanye or any of the other “celebrities” who constantly swear to leave the US? Losing a finger or two is a small price to pay for upholding their celebrity “principles.”

Q: Do I watch, read or listen to the media?
A: No. And, as long as they promote a pure leftist agenda, neither should those who think critically.

Your answer to whether it is OK to deport someone who might be executed is ‘people can be executed for lots of reasons’?

:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.