regaining hope

I feel like I have sort of distanced myself from Jesus, without even realizing it… I just realized it tonight. I miss Him a lot. :frowning: I’ve done some things that are very hard for me to believe would be forgiven, because they involved rejecting things that He told me as not from Him, etc. - there’s just a lot of fear involved… will Jesus take me back no matter what? Please help me to understand this and to accept His mercy… thank you

Have you actually sinned or are you just going by your feeling? It’s important to know the difference.

In any case, you should go to confession, if you haven’t already, and discuss this with your priest. Tell him your fears. And do what he tells you to do without worrying if it is the right thing to do or enough for your sins, etc. Trust that when Jesus gave his priests the authority to forgive sins that he meant it. In talking to the priest you are talking to Jesus who died for love of you. Remember that and all will be well.

Do you think about it too much maybe? “Pray, hope, don’t worry” (St. Pio). The last step is essential! I only wonder because I know you have read about this and are able to give advice to others. It’s possible to get stuck in abstraction. I don’t know your situation intimately of course so forgive me for being presumptuous, but perhaps you don’t need to understand so much as go ahead and do it. :slight_smile:

I don’t know any more because my feelings are so confused. I do think that I have sinned. At any rate, I’m going to assume that I have sinned and confess it properly and then if it wasn’t a sin, I’ll know someday, I just want to come back to God. I have repented for the sins.

In any case, you should go to confession, if you haven’t already, and discuss this with your priest. Tell him your fears. And do what he tells you to do without worrying if it is the right thing to do or enough for your sins, etc. Trust that when Jesus gave his priests the authority to forgive sins that he meant it. In talking to the priest you are talking to Jesus who died for love of you. Remember that and all will be well.

thank you :slight_smile: I am planning on going to Confession on Monday…

God bless

that is a good point :slight_smile: I see what you mean… I never know for sure. I feel like when I talk to other people about similar situations, I have clarity about the Church’s teaching (as I understand it) and I have no doubt that God will forgive them. In my case, I get confused.

As for overthinking it… for the past little while, I haven’t really been thinking about it, and just trying to live my faith, - but whenever I really prayed or went to church, I could sense “something” is wrong… and then today I was praying and actually what I realized is that I haven’t really been open enough with God, I have been selfish in many ways, and not loved Him even as before. I have went backwards. After thinking about this and making a decision to love Him again, I remembered about that sin… I repented of it once more, but I do need to speak with a priest in Confession and maybe that will help me actually accept God’s mercy for it. I prayed the Divine Mercy Litany which made it better, but there is a lot of confusion in my mind which doesn’t help.

God bless :slight_smile:

Monica,

Throughout your time here at CAF, you have prayed and provided so much hope, love and truth for people who were going through what you went and are going through.
You know our Lord loves you with so much favour that if you were the only one on this earth He still would have sent His only son to save you. He missed you too and now He has you back.

You are in my prayers,
Andrea

When you go to confession on Monday, please tell the priest how long and how often you have suffered with this and similar fears. He will be of much more help to you if he knows the whole story.

+JMJ+

Monica, you have helped me and others many times with your posts that are full of faith and love in Jesus Christ in many, many threads here in CAF, some I have participated in, others I have stumbled upon. In gratitude, I pray that you would persevere in loving and having faith in God, and that you may be filled with unshakable hope and courage…pressed down, shaken together, running over.

God bless.

Thank you for the replies and prayers :hug1:

Unfortunately I was not able to go to Confession today :frowning: but I will be going sometime this week.

I can’t seem to find God… I miss Him so much :frowning: I hope He will forgive me.

God bless

Hi Monica,

Jesus always love you. If he didn’t love a good person like you there wouldn’t be much chance for a wretched sinner like me.
Remember the prodigal son. Each time you return there is great rejoicing in heaven!
Your worries about losing your faith show that you are conscious of it and that is the first great positive I think!

Maybe after prayer you could do something for the poor, because if you want to see the Jesus the person, then that is where he is. Maybe not just the first beggar on the street, but finding those truly in need that come into heart. For example the other day I found great comfort in praying for the people of Libya who were being shot by the police, and praying for peace, rather than just praying for my own concerns. I really still think all about myself and so it was a great eye opener, and for the first time i ages, I thought I felt the hand of the Lord on my shoulder.

remember from the heart.

Hi Monica,

I believe that God knows that He is very difficult for us to understand and also believe. Christ told us to *seek *and we shall find. He didn’t tell us merely to find. He knows that our lives are filled with misunderstandings and understandings. It’s a life long effort.

ANYTHING can be forgiven. God’s mercy is so much greater than any sin you could commit. Christ’s will is the salvation of your soul, so nothing on earth can keep you from Him, if you desire to be with Him and you want forgiveness. Trust in His mercy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.