Regarding Baptism

If one believes himself to have been baptised when he was a baby, but in fact he wasn’t, is he still guilty of original sin? I’m not sure why I felt the need to ask, but :stuck_out_tongue:

If someone believes himself to be baptized, beyond a shadow of a doubt, but somehow wasn’t, then I believe baptism of desire would take effect and the person would be free of original sin.

[quote=Krasnaya Kometa]If one believes himself to have been baptised when he was a baby, but in fact he wasn’t, is he still guilty of original sin? I’m not sure why I felt the need to ask, but :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

In 99% of the cases, the Parish of their youth has the record. One letter of inquiry would get the answer.

[quote=Krasnaya Kometa]If one believes himself to have been baptised when he was a baby, but in fact he wasn’t, is he still guilty of original sin? I’m not sure why I felt the need to ask, but :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

no one is guilty of original sin, we are guilty, that is to blame, only for our actual sin. we are all, however, born with original sin, a condition that is removed, healed and cleansed by baptism. If someone thinks they were baptized as an infant, they should poll family members for details and try to locate a record, which they will need to receive the other sacraments of the Church. If a record cannot be found, reliable witnesses who were present at the baptism can testify to it. If there is no way of establishing the fact of baptism, the person can be conditionally baptized in the course of becoming fully initiated. I don’t quite know where your question is headed, or what is the root of your concern.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.