Regarding forgiveness: Prayer requests for myself and an ex-girlfriend

I’d like to ask the members of this forum to pray for myself and an ex-girlfriend.

We knew each other for about 3.5 years. Out of that time, we dated for 3 years.

We broke up about a week before Christmas, after we had been fighting A LOT for a few months. Some of it my fault, some of it hers. However, we both said some awful, terrible things to each other and emotionally hurt each other deeply.

I am also ashamed that although we started the relationship as Catholics, eventually, we gave in to our temptations and began having sex regularly. We never stopped believing in God, but soon, mass attendance declined, and the only time we prayed was before meals.

After much reflection, I have started to return to the Church, the rosay and prayer. The first time I went into a church in over a year and began praying, I was almost on the verge of crying because I was so ashamed, but also grateful that I had been granted the opportunity to returning and a chance at forgiveness.

However, since the break up, my ex has started to drink constantly, smokes weed, and hangs out with the wrong crowd who also encourages such behaviour.

She has also started a sexual fling with someone else I’ve heard bad things about, and is interested in guys I know who encourage this behaviour. It also doesn’t help that her job can be extremely stressful.

According to some mutual friends, she has become increasingly negative, selfish and is constantly snapping at them and insensitive to their feelings. I feel like the person I fell for 3 years ago is gone.

Although our relationship is gone, I still care about her well being and wish her the best. I really fear that her destructive, anti-social behaviour and new crowd might lead her back to a dark place she previously was in her life: depressed, suicidal, anti-social, promiscuous.
Please, pray for myself and this person. *

It breaks my heart to hear these stories about her, because I know the person she once was, and despite who she has recently become, I believe she can return to her old self.

Also pray that she will accept my apologies for the mean behaviour I showed her. When I tried to apologize for things I did, she reacted very negatively and angrily towards me, making false accusations about my intentions.

*Pray that she realizes that I truly forgive her for the hurt she caused me and am sorry for the hurt I caused her.

Pray that she realizes that there are genuine, good people out there who care about her well being.

Pray that she will find true happiness and return to God.

Pray that both of us will be able to control our emotions and tempers that distanced us from each other and from friends.

Pray that we can forgive each other for the hurt we caused each other, and root out any negativity and anger that blocks God’s mercy from entering our hearts.

Pray that we will be given the light to see ourselves and each other as we really are, as who we can be, and who we once were.

Pray that during this time, God and his angels will protect us from evil, temptation, and the false pleasures of hedonism, that we can find true good in this life and open our hearts to others and to God’s love.
And finally, please *pray that one day, my ex-girlfriend and I will no longer have any negativity or anger towards the other person.

Pray that one day, we can be civil to each other without hurting each other, that we can one day be friendly and respectful to each other.

Please pray that a friendship or mutual respect between us can enter our lives and hearts one day, absent of negative or hurtful thoughts and comments.*

And please* pray that God will enter our lives and show us true happiness, the way to the sacraments, that our sins will be forgiven. Help us learn to forgive each other.*

Are you sure your relationship is gone?
I did not see any problem with your relationship.
Fights? Normal. Have you seen any couple without fights?
Sex? Normal. Have you ever seen a couple without sex problems?
Nothing special.
Are you sure you have tried enough.

I’m pretty sure it is, for now. We both hurt each other. I do forgive her and I’ve apologized for hurting her, but she reacts extremely negatively and with hostility towards me.

We had been fighting for months and said terrible things to each other. We’d fight, break up, get back together a few hours later. But not this time, it seems.

Even if we do reunite in the future as friends or a couple, which I’m not sure will happen, it is clear that we are in desperate need of prayer.

We both need prayers to bring our behaviour and emotions under control.

We both need prayers to be able to think clearly and resist temptations.

We both need prayers so that we can forgive each other, so that we can be granted the light to see each other for who we really are, who we once were, and who we can be.

We both need prayers that we will find comfort in the sacraments, that she will find people who genuinely care about our well being and avoid relapsing into a dark place she once was.

So please, pray that God will hear my original intentions and that we will open our hearts to each other and his mercy.

I second that (as well as prayed for you both), since I see you still have love for her and her anger toward you could be misrepresentation of hurt and love on her part.

Did the two of you try couples counseling through your church?

God bless you both.

No, since we had become lapsed Catholics towards the end of our relationship. It was only after the relationship ended when I returned to the church, the rosary and prayer. I thank God I have done so.

We had barely attended mass and only prayed before meals. I do now wish we could have tried couples counselling, since we were both so sure we would marry each other and start a family.

She is refusing to talk to me and gets very angry when I try to talk, so I have to respect her wishes. I don’t know if we’re meant to be together, but I do hope that one day, she will forgive me for the hurt I caused and we can talk, renew our friendship, and if God wills it, our relationship. I do forgive her for the hurt she caused me, though.

A part of me will always love her, and I do care about her well being. It is sad to see this new behaviour towards me and her old friends, ever since she started to hang out with this new crowd.

I also have heard things about the guys she is interested in, and if they’re true, they will end up hurting her again and encourage destructive behaviour.

I know she is a good person at heart and desires real happiness and love. I’ve seen her as the good person she once was, and I know that person can return. But I fear she is going to get hurt all over again and relapse to the dark place I talked about.

I don’t know if we are meant to be together or not. But I do pray, and ask everyone else as well, to pray that our friendship can be repaired, that we can forgive each other and find happiness in each other and the sacraments.

Pray that God will grant us the light to see each other for who we really are, who we once were, and who we can be with God’s blessing.

I wholeheartedly agree that counseling can be a big help. I was in the same situation but never thought about counseling. A friend suggested counseling but it was too late because my significant other died right before Christmas. Don’t make my mistake please.

You are both in my prayers, that you may find the strength to put God first in your lives.

St. Augustine, pray for them.
St. Mary Magdalen, pray for them.
St. Peregrine, pray for them.
St. Francis, pray for them.

I shall also pray for Pfaffenhoffen, that the Sacred Heart of Jesus may fill his/her heart with love.

Well, im sorry about everything that happened, but have Faith, and Hope, i will pray for her conversion, and your intentions will be in my prayers. God bless you.

Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kindgom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliever us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Praying for all your intentions. May our Lord hear and answer you.

Our Father…
Hail Mary…
Glory be…

Amen.

Thank you everyone for your prayers. Yesterday was the first time I had gone to confession in over a year, and I completely broke down in the pew when I was saying my penance. God answered my prayers and showed me mercy.

Please keep praying for the both of us, for struggling friendships, struggling relationships, and struggling marriages, that myself, my ex girlfriend and people in similar situations can learn to forgive each other and receive the light to see others and ourselves for who they really are, and who they can be.

Praying hard for her.

Thank you for praying for me and her, everybody. I will pray for you all. God bless.

Both of you remain in my prayers. And I give thanks to God that your contrition for your sins has sent you back into His love.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.