Regarding Irregular marriages

I have a question for people who are in irregular catholic marriages and waiting out an annulment. Are you practicing abstinence in your marriage and how did you make that decision? What if your spouse doesn't agree with it, what can you do? Are you allowed to go to confession and communion?

Anne, you need to pray for your spouse and do the best you can. Talk to your confessor and ask his advice. Explain to him that you are trying.

[quote="AnneTeresa, post:1, topic:219242"]
I have a question for people who are in irregular catholic marriages and waiting out an annulment. Are you practicing abstinence in your marriage and how did you make that decision? What if your spouse doesn't agree with it, what can you do? Are you allowed to go to confession and communion?

[/quote]

If you are waiting for an annulment, you are most likely already separated, so you wouldn't be sleeping together. If you are sleeping together, one would wonder why you're seeking an annulment rather than marital counseling.

Abstinence is not a sin, and since you are still technically married you are not allowed to sleep with anyone except for your spouse. It is also not a sin to separate from your spouse, especially if your spouse is being abusive. Of course, you should try to work things out.

If and when you get your annulment, you are required to practice abstinence until you remarry.

You are always allowed to go to confession as long as you haven't been excommunicated(you cannot receive any sacraments). Confession is a sacrament of healing your soul and repairing your relationship with God. It is also good because you can talk to the priest about your problems and he might be able to offer advice from a new perspective, since things are always different when they are happening to you, as opposed to you hearing about something that happened to someone else. Unless you're not baptised, then you need to wait until after baptism before confession. And if you're a baptised non-Catholic Christian, you will have your first confession before being confirmed.

You are allowed to receive communion as long as you are not in a state or mortal sin or have been excommunicated.

[quote="stephe1987, post:3, topic:219242"]
If you are waiting for an annulment, you are most likely already separated, so you wouldn't be sleeping together. If you are sleeping together, one would wonder why you're seeking an annulment rather than marital counseling.

[/quote]

I believe the irregular marriage would be a second marriage, while waiting for a first marriage to be annulled.

I guess I should clarify. I am married to someone divorced. We’ve been married 25 years. We were married in a different church and we are both Catholic. I wanted to hear from anyone else who may have been in this situation how they handled it. My husband has agreed to file for an annulment, but it’s been 30+ years. Who knows what will happen. I’ve heard about people abstaining from sex and then being able to go to communion and was wondering if that was true and how they dealt with it. I do intent to talk to my own priest again too. I’ve already met with him once.

Anne Theresa we have a Divorce and Anullment group on these forums you would be welcome to come join if you would like. I personally don't have any advice but maybe you can find some there. God bless.

We had the same situation. We lived as brother and sister while waiting for the annulment to come through. Our priest was wonderful in dealing with us. Don’t worry, it will most probably be fine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.